and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Contempra Handset Cords

Started by poplar1, March 01, 2014, 09:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: JubileeCompact on March 01, 2014, 03:27:17 AM
Hi Guys
Has anyone ever come across a Modular Contempra or Dawn as these were also made by NT??

Unlike Trimlines, the network for Contempras is located in the base. Therefore,  the talking circuit for a QSK100 (rotary) or QSK2100 (Digitone) requires 5 wires  between the handset and the base, just as  211s and 202s need 5 conductors when connected to a 685A subset. There is no dial lamp--that would  require two additional conductors. The 5-conductor hardwired handset cord is coded NE-H5QE.

There are also some Contempras with modular handsets. Although the modular jacks appear to have 6 positions for the gold connectors, in fact, they are equipped with only 5. However, a 6-position plug (the ones used on most line cords) will not fit: You have to use a special Northern Telecom 5-conductor modular cord. These are extremely difficult to find, and usually when you find a modular Contempra, someone will have substituted a regular handset cord (4 position, 4 conductor). Of course, the Contempra won't work without all 5 conductors. 

The hardwired 3100 series Contempras require 7-conductor NE-H7QA handset cords. These have pushbutton Digipulse dials which send out pulses like a rotary dial.

Southern Bell sold  Northern Telecom Rendez-vous phones that were fully modular.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Ok, I have never seen a Contempra which was manufactured with full modular. Normally those we see here have a handset cord as shown below.

The 502-321-910CA ID Oct72 Contempra QSK100AX QSK2100AX Ocr R BSP shown in the TCI library doesn't mention a full modular version, but one thing we learn is there are always exceptions to what appears to be the norm!

Thanks, for the information - I didn't mean to lead anyone astray!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

1972 is a bit early for modular sets.

I have several later Contempras with full modular wiring.  Several have 1982 date codes.

Here are some past auction photos.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

There appear to be photos of both a hardwired and a modular Dawn here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3348.msg44406#msg44406
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Quote from: paul-f on March 01, 2014, 02:37:28 PM

I have several later Contempras with full modular wiring.  Several have 1982 date codes.

Here are some past auction photos.
Hmmm, I wonder if they were made with modular cords only for the US market? I have ten of them here, most of them bought at yard sales, and none are modular.NT was slow changing over to Modular - it is possible only the latest manufactured had modular, and that all those I have were all made too early?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

FYI - The Contempra cords show up on ebay all the time and usually do not sell, not enough demand I would guess. Also IIRC one of our members has a huge supply of Contempra cords as well as other parts available ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 01, 2014, 04:34:40 PM
FYI - The Contempra cords show up on ebay all the time and usually do not sell, not enough demand I would guess. Also IIRC one of our members has a huge supply of Contempra cords as well as other parts available ;)

Yes, but only one box of 5-conductor modular handset cords turned up in Sonny's warehouse--and of course they are beige (Band-Aid color).
It's strange that at the Maitland telephone show, there were 3 other people with NOS Contempra NE-H5QE cords, and they were all the same colors Sonny has--brown, pale yellow, green, etc.

Contempra

I'm always interested by the Contempra phones,, My contempras are hard-wired beige and Brown.... but i've never seen a modular...

AE_Collector

I knew that there was a modular Contempra that needs a 5 wire modular handset cord. I am wondering if NT made these at their US plant as modular handsets came into being in the US before in Canada. I have around 10 or 12  Contempra's myself but I just looked at the eight I have on display and they are all hardwired.

I have a bit of an assortment of new hardwired 5 conductor handset cords here too if anyone is in need of a specific color. I might have it.

Terry

Babybearjs

the contrempra phone was a cool phone from the 70's. I still have one in harvest gold... the base was actually made to fasten to a 2X4 single gang switch box. I had mine in the kitchen of my 1977 manufactured home and it blended in perfectly with the original décor. I took it out of service because it was a hassle to unmounts it from the wall... they were the only phone I've ever seen that was both desk and wall mountable. loved the design!
John

oldphon

The modular Contempras were made in the NT plant in Nashville for the US market only.

DavePEI

Quote from: oldphon on January 31, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
The modular Contempras were made in the NT plant in Nashville for the US market only.
Exactly what I was thinking. Same was true of the AGB airplane phones and Dawn, etc. The American market demanded modular phones, but it took much longer for them to catch on in Canada. Hence the US modular versions. Al my Contempras collected in Canada have non-modular.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

princessphone

Hi there,
I've got 2 brown contempras, 1 rotary and the other touch tone. Bought the rotary at Honest Ed in Toronto during deregulation in the seventies and was concerned if Ma bell found out (good grief! she might cut my service). Soon after when the touch tone became available went back and bought the TT. The brown fitted right in my cool dark rec room, an early version of mancave.
What I sortof like about these phones is the really thick and springy handset cords. Reading some of the replies I learned what I think is the explanation. It's likely to accommodate the 5 wires instaed of 4. Sometimes I amaze myself.
I'm currently reading Gus Harper's "Phones, Tones and Erotic Zones" and it has a lot to do with deregulation of the phone monopolies. Does anyone know how this deregulating worked in Canada? It appears to me that these changes here in Canada happened about the same time. Are we actually the 51st state?
Maybe ol' Dave in PEI can shed some knowledge on this deregulation in Canada.
Trivia: In what year did Newfoundland join Canada? What was their early phone system like? How did they call the main land? Did anybody care? Just kidding Dave.
John       

Contempra

Quote from: DavePEI on January 31, 2015, 08:19:53 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Same was true of the AGB airplane phones and Dawn, etc. The American market demanded modular phones, but it took much longer for them to catch on in Canada. Hence the US modular versions. Al my Contempras collected in Canada have non-modular.

Dave

I agree Dave.. my 2 Contempras are also non-modular..they are in brown and beige and I bought them in Québec ...Besides, all my phones are non-modular

EDIT: Now i have a red one ;)..

poplar1

What is the purpose of the other 2 leads (total 7) in the handset cord for the QSQM3100CX Digipulse Contempra?

If there are no  7-conductor cords available (especially red), then can the 3100 base be used with a regular Digitone (2100) handset?

Does anyone have a diagram for the 3100?