News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Truck

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 20, 2016, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

That might not be a bad idea--I'll look into that.

For now, though, the poison blocks and eventual Ozone should take care of that. Our entire garage was filled with mice. Less than a week later, by just using the blocks scattered around, the problem stopped. That was a few years ago, so the mice are back now, but our property is filled with mice. The storage building my truck is in apparently has no mice issues. It was abandoned for 8 years, and not one mouse was found during cleanup.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

A cat makes a good as needed corrective measure for the rodents, if having 1 or 2 is practical.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on December 06, 2017, 01:15:56 PM
A cat makes a good as needed corrective measure for the rodents, if having 1 or 2 is practical.
We have three. ;D

We only have one who explores outside the house, so she is the only one who hunts mice. The other two (litter mates) are scared of the outdoors, and both actually treat the mice they find in the house like their own pets; carrying them around gently and setting them down to watch them run around the room! ::) We scold the one who actually kills mice, because she usually catches them outside (far away from the house), brings them to the back porch, and then proceeds to tear them apart. Not fun to clean up after her...
Christian Petterson

19and41

When I lived in Utah, I lived in a mobile home and there was an old cat that hung around the place.  She would catch lizards and leave me what she hadn't eaten on my porch.  She'd come by a little later and finish it off.  Cats can be generous with their friends.   ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 06, 2017, 02:18:08 PM
When I lived in Utah, I lived in a mobile home and there was an old cat that hung around the place.  She would catch lizards and leave me what she hadn't eaten on my porch.  She'd come by a little later and finish it off.  Cats can be generous with their friends.   ;D

I have two Siamese that are great mousers. Last fall, 3 got inside. I got one with a trap and they got the other two. They actually treat them as toys, play with them, so whenever I see both cats siting next to each other staring into a corner or crevice, I know exactly what they found, or cornered.

Cats who go outdoor like to show off their catch. That's why they move their catch to the door. Got to be an ego thing or just showing off. Mine never go outside, cheaper vet expenses that way. Train them not to want to go outside by putting them just outside the back door in a poring rain and a foot of snow. They can't wait to get back inside and never try to go out after that.

At $600 a cat, they stay inside. Yeah, I know, pure bread Siamese are not cheap but they are, in my opinion, the best of all cats to have. Others will differ, I'm sure.

19and41

My grandmother raised Siamese.   They have a character all their own.  I can tell you stories about them, too.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on December 06, 2017, 02:28:22 PM
I have two Siamese that are great mousers. Last fall, 3 got inside. I got one with a trap and they got the other two. They actually treat them as toys, play with them, so whenever I see both cats siting next to each other staring into a corner or crevice, I know exactly what they found, or cornered.

Cats who go outdoor like to show off their catch. That's why they move their catch to the door. Got to be an ego thing or just showing off. Mine never go outside, cheaper vet expenses that way. Train them not to want to go outside by putting them just outside the back door in a poring rain and a foot of snow. They can't wait to get back inside and never try to go out after that.

At $600 a cat, they stay inside. Yeah, I know, pure bread Siamese are not cheap but they are, in my opinion, the best of all cats to have. Others will differ, I'm sure.

Our inadvertent mouser is a Calico Tabby, who lived out in Southwestern Wisconsin (extremely rural area) for the first 3 years of her life as a feral cat. She was eating dirt to stay alive by the time we found her, but she had undoubtedly caught an unimaginable amount of rodents and small animals in her time. She is a devoted house cat now, but loves to go outdoors (as much as we try to stop her), catch a small animal of some kind, and perform an autopsy on it outside where everyone can see it.

We also do stuff like that with her, showing her what it really feels like outdoors when she wants to go out. She sometimes sneaks out when we let the dogs out. After the first snow, if she begs us to go out, we just drop her in the biggest pile of snow we can find and walk away. She usually wades through the drifts to come back to the door as fast as she can.

In the middle of Winter, if she manages to get out (which is a huge, flaunting victory during the Summer), we simply close the door behind her. After she realizes how stupid her mistake was, she pretends that she really does want to be out there, finding a dry spot on the railing, desperately trying to look interested at the lifeless back yard. She ends up admitting defeat a few minutes later, slowly walking back to the door to beg to come in. The other two cats seem to mock her as she begs, sitting next to the heating register by the back door. ;D

I swear, our pets are human... :)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Got my truck back from storage yesterday!

Back in December, I left my glovebox open to prevent mice from making a home there again. I forgot that my glovebox is lit when open, which drained the battery completely. It took about 15 minutes to charge the battery enough to get the truck to turn over, plus another charge overnight when I got back. As far as I can tell, mice destroyed nothing other than some paper in the glovebox. The only paper that wasn't destroyed was the Owner's Manual, which is in a plastic folder. The old registeration survived, but the new one for my Collector plates didn't. Gotta get a new copy of that... :-\

I never got around to going back to install the cover while it was stored, so it was FILTHY. It took 2 hours to wash and wax (although I started cleaning the mice nests and interior out 5 hours earlier), but it looks better now than it ever has!

I was quoted $299 to have my steering wheel re-wrapped in leather. Ouch. I'll probably wait on that one for awhile...I can deal with a cracked steering wheel for now... ;D
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Nice truck, Christian - those last 2 pics look like they are out of a 1988 Ford dealer brochure....
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on April 29, 2018, 10:58:08 PM
Nice truck, Christian - those last 2 pics look like they are out of a 1988 Ford dealer brochure....

Thanks! ;)

Yep, pretty much... ;D
Christian Petterson