News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning and fixing PVC telephone handset cords.

Started by Contempra, January 05, 2023, 09:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker

I put dirty cables in a cloth bag, which I close. This bag then goes into the washing machine with the laundry at 60 °C (140 °F). The washing process and the rubbing on the cloth bag make the cables look like new. The plugs also look like new and have to dry for a few days or hours, depending on the design. I have also washed extension cables with the plugs. Stubborn dirt on PVC can be removed with alcohol and a sponge. I wind tangled spiral cables on a rod.

I would strongly advise against cleaning entire phones in the washing machine. They may look clean afterwards. But they are then usually defective and can no longer be repaired if the coils become soaked with water. Capacitors with paper as insulation won't survive the procedure either.

Apart from that, there is trouble and unpleasant discussions with the fellow users of the washing machine. Telephones do not belong in washing machines or dishwashers.
Volker

Contempra

Quote from: Volker on January 06, 2023, 11:08:32 AMI put dirty cables in a cloth bag, which I close. This bag then goes into the washing machine with the laundry at 60 °C (140 °F). The washing process and the rubbing on the cloth bag make the cables look like new. The plugs also look like new and have to dry for a few days or hours, depending on the design. I have also washed extension cables with the plugs. Stubborn dirt on PVC can be removed with alcohol and a sponge. I wind tangled spiral cables on a rod.

[b]I've never done this in the washing machine but maybe I should give it a try. As for the rest, to wind the cord on a wooden or metal rod, I do that and let it soak all night in the kitchen sink.[/b]

I would strongly advise against cleaning entire phones in the washing machine. They may look clean afterwards. But they are then usually defective and can no longer be repaired if the coils become soaked with water. Capacitors with paper as insulation won't survive the procedure either.

[b]Never do either except the shell and the numbered dial and the parts like the handset and the caps of the receiver and the transmitter. I don't have a dishwasher, but if I had one, I'd strap the shell and other loose parts on so they wouldn't move from the powerful jets of the dishwasher.[/b]

Apart from that, there is trouble and unpleasant discussions with the fellow users of the washing machine. Telephones do not belong in washing machines or dishwashers.

Well, it's a fact but,.... be careful because I have seen and myself have often washed electronic circuits of televisions and radios without ever having any worries. But the difference in the telephone, it is mainly because of the "NETWORK" closed, but having a hole or two (it depends on the networks), would not be good because the water would still remain in the network in small quantity. Me is that I wouldn't try it at all except for the parts I mentioned. :)

Volker

I do it like this: After disassembling the phone, the plastic parts can be cleaned in lukewarm soapy water with a soft sponge and a toothbrush. Then I polish the plastic surfaces with rubbing for car paint. Then maybe with cleaner the final polish. It depends on whether the result improves. Fine scratches will disappear and a high gloss will appear if the parts originally had a glossy surface.

Deeper scratches can be removed with a wet sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper. This is followed by final polishing with Rubbing and Cleaner until the surface is so smooth that you can see your reflection in it. The phones then often shine more brilliantly than ever before. Over-restoration can then be lamented, but this disappears with use. Those who love their phones polish them every 10 years until their cases become thinner and thinner and finally disappear in a few centuries by polishing, if I may joke.

Never use acetone. It dissolves ABS, which is often used. Acetone can even be used to glue ABS. Even alcohol can damage plastic surfaces. Imprints can be dissolved by alcohol. Brake cleaner has been unproblematic up to now in my experience. I use it to dissolve the adhesive on price stickers. With brake cleaner I like to clean the mechanics of the dials and electrical contacts. I once cleaned the sluggish mechanics of a dial in an ultrasonic bath with denture cleaner. That worked very well. Unfortunately, the phone smelled like peppermint for weeks. But you can live with that. The smell does not negatively affect the cognitive abilities needed to dial. :)

I had once cleaned the plastic housing of a radio with alcohol, which then got ugly white spots. Fortunately, they disappeared again with rubbing. Nothing against a glass of good wine. But since then I no longer drink schnapps. Anything that attacks plastic doesn't get into my stomach.
Volker

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"