News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Re: Find of the Month - November 2014

Started by AE_Collector, October 31, 2014, 01:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - November 2014   **** VOTE FOR TWO ****

Fabius' White Ericsson Model 1951 in an ebaY "Make an Offer" -  less than $135 plus shipping
2 (7.4%)
Dsk's new "Hagenuk tabletop payphone" from 1970 for $59 US on a Norwegian auction site
2 (7.4%)
Doug Rose's Manual AE35 MonoPhone that he "stole" for $35.99 & $6.78 shipping BIN on ebaY
7 (25.9%)
Dennis Markham's Etsy find (with Larry's help) - an Oxidized Silver 302 for $175 & $15 shipping
4 (14.8%)
KWilder's Aqua Blue 500U Mushroom Lamp Phone for free in the trash can at work!!!!
18 (66.7%)
AE40Fan's 1955 Soft Plastic Yellow 500 with grey cords for a BIN $43.00 including shipping!
10 (37%)
Andre_janew's WECo Manual 500C on ebaY for 99 cents & $17.90 shipping
2 (7.4%)
Sargeguy's SNET/SO CAL flange sign $235 BIN on eBay +$14.50 s&h
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

tallguy58

I mean, how can you beat a free mushroom phone?

I think this is over before it begins.

What an amazing find.
Cheers........Bill

andre_janew

I was paying for some purchases I bought on eBay when I saw this Western Electric ?500? phone being suggested as a compliment for my recent purchases.  The starting price was $.99 with 0 bids.  I thought I would at least take a look at it.  I did and it was definitely a 500 phone, a 500C to be exact.  I put a couple of bids in.  With slightly less than 12 hours to go, I figured I would get it really cheap or someone else would get it for slightly more than my top bid of $1.50.  As it turned out, I got it for $.99.  The shipping was $17.90 for a grand total of $18.89.  A view of this phone from the rear can be seen at  www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13273.msg139286#msg139286

Sargeguy

I'd like to nominate my Southern New England Telephone/Southern California sign purchased off of eBay on Thanksgiving for $235.  The sign, which is authentic, features Southern New England Telephone Company on one side and Southern California Telephone Company on the other.  A factory error like this has never been seen or documented as far as I know.  Both SNET and SO CAL are very hard to find signs in their own right so having both on the same sign is well, just plain crazy!!!

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

**** VOTE FOR TWO ITEMS IN THE FIND OF THE MONTH POLL ****

Okay, we are starting the November Find of the Month voting a few hours early. I am preparing to leave on my next cruise and I have a list of things to complete over the next couple of days and the poll is one of them.

So check this months impressive list of "Finds" for the two that you would most like to have "Found" for your collection and place your votes!

Sarge:

I wonder if it might have been a sample made that way for Bell? I guess it could have been an error as well. I guess it is a bonus finding both in one sign! Nice Find!

Terry

Slal

Another tough contest.  Rare phone in the garbage will be tough to outdo. 

Finding an AE-35 (in my limited experience) not that easy and for how much?  : 0 !

Happy ending to long (one year) story involving stolen box on the porch that had a yellow 500DR in it...

The list could go on.

Anyway, congrads in advance to winner if I'm on holiday & not around.

--Bruce

Sargeguy

QuoteSarge:

I wonder if it might have been a sample made that way for Bell? I guess it could have been an error as well. I guess it is a bonus finding both in one sign! Nice Find!

Terry

Thanks, I think the fact that both begin with "Southern" suggests that someone pulled the wrong stencil when they were doing the second side. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Thanks, I think the fact that both begin with "Southern" suggests that someone pulled the wrong stencil when they were doing the second side.

I agree with that assessment. The million dollar question which state did it hang in? CA or CT? Did the seller say were he got it and reveal any history?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Fabius on November 30, 2014, 07:14:58 PM

I agree with that assessment. The million dollar question which state did it hang in? CA or CT? Did the seller say were he got it and reveal any history?
Some employee on the factory floor could have found out the mistake before it was put in service, laughed at it, and took it home with him. It was probably never put in service in either state.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

It was shipped from Colorado, so I am assuming California.  Also, in my experience it seems that the TELCO PROPERTY stamp is found more on stuff from the West Coast.  It appears to have been displayed at some point, then taken down and left someplace where it got dinged up but not severely abused, like someone's basement or garage. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

I am thinking that we may as well not keep the Find of the Month for November running any longer as KWilder's Aqua Blue 500U Mushroom Lamp Phone that he rescued from the trash can at work seems to be a favourite that this months other finds haven't a hope of catching.

There were plenty of nice finds this month and only one of them can win the Find of the Month though all were very nice finds.

Congratulations KWilder on your impressive start here on CRPF!

Here is the "Find of the Month - Winners List" for all contests to date:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

Terry

HarrySmith

I cannot see the chart, is it my computer or what??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Which one Harry? The voting results at the top of each page of this topic or the results from all contests at the topic/link posted?

Must either be your computer or your Mind that you are trying to figure out where it goes to from that other topic! If you find it let me know, I think mine might be there as well.

Terry

HarrySmith

The one at the top of this page.
If I find it you will all know!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

HarrySmith