News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm Benny & I have Phoneitis

Started by Pourme, December 11, 2016, 05:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I have resisted the urge to show my collection. So many other members have collections that make mine pale by comparison. I only became "serious" around March of 2016. I had a handful of phones that I thought were cool. I had never worked on a phone at all. I am mechanically inclined and love to take things apart and put them back together again, always have. This hobby allows me to do that. I have converted a small space in my storage area in my basement to tinker with phones...my dungeon.

Today my collection is rapidly approaching 80 pieces. I have a 616 and a 308 PBX. The 616 is being used for my pleasure of ringing phones and is served by a Magic Jack line with a number that no one uses. I have a BK 1045a that I use almost daily & a SAGE 930a that I have no idea how to use...yet.

I intend to use this thread to post pictures of the phones I have accumilated as time permits.

Today I wanted to post pics of a project that I am excited about and maybe get suggestions of how I should succeed.
I have a wall behind my desk that has been dominated by my love for NASCAR racing for 15 years. I have decided to box up a great deal of my die casts, etc & use this space to create a working display for my phones. A very big move for me. I want to utilize my dormant 308 to make my display interactive. I don't want multiple long shelves of endless phones here. I want to "spotlight" recent and "favorite" pieces, as this is what I look at most often. Because I can have multiple phones per lines I could have from 8 phones to 32 phones on this wall connected to the 308. I'm thinking 20 or so phones. I want to wire each phone so that they can be removed and replaced with another phone by simply unplugging via modular plug. The usable, above desktop space is apx 5' X 8'. I intend to place my subsets below or level to the top of the desk an wire them in through the wall. I have a access point in a closet behind the wall. I want NO wires showing within the display.

I will need junction boxes at each phone and connector points for the multiple phones for each of the 8 lines, behind the wall.
This won't happen over night, I hope to be finished before spring when my business gears up for the new season.

So far I have removed the existing display and stripped the wall paper. Some sanding and the 1st coat of paint is the 1st order. The entire side of the room has been shifted two feet away from the wall, the room is the most used room in the house.

I wish I had some signage to further enhance the visual effect of the wall. I would even use reproduction pieces as p;ace holders. As you may see, this will be a ever evolving project.

I include pics of the previous display and the raw wall as it exists now. I hope to look back at these pics and marvel at how wonderfully it evolved!

I have thought this out for months but have nothing set in stone, if you have suggestions along the way, they are welcomed. I realize many of you have been there and done that.

I have enjoyed my almost year on the forum very much. The members have proven to be helpful beyond my expectations. I look forward to the coming years of sharing ideas and information.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rbouch

All I can say is I like the idea and those are some nice phones.

I have an old hutch I am using to house my meagre collection but your idea sounds so much more fun....

Pourme

Quote from: rbouch on December 11, 2016, 06:10:58 PM
All I can say is I like the idea and those are some nice phones.

I have an old hutch I am using to house my meagre collection but your idea sounds so much more fun....
Thanks rbouch,
I like challenges!
Benny

AL_as_needed

Now I have seen phones in the form of #3, I think we can find some leeway with this transition here haha 8)
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 12, 2016, 12:10:02 AM
Now I have seen phones in the form of #3, I think we can find some leeway with this transition here haha 8)

Al, These are the first phones I bought as a addition to my NASCAR collection. They became the bridge that eventually became Phoneitis.
Benny

Pourme

Display wall update:

With the wall patched and painted. (The sheet rock work is less than spectacular but it will have to do) I have decided to use shelf standards and related hardware. This will enable me to arrange shelves in irregular patterns and not look so uniformed. It will also enable me to re arrange the shelves with ease as my collection changes and grows. Also I can use shelves of varying depths as needed.  For instance, a Kellogg 900 is less than 5" deep as opposed to some desk sets that measure a full 10" deep. B1s and D1s fall in the middle somewhat.

Another advantage of using standards is that I can route and conceal the wires within the standards themselves. The wires can be routed and re routed as needed throughout the life of the display without drilling holes in the wall! The shelf I am showing in the pics is a glass shelf I borrowed from another wall. I'm not sure I will use glass shelves in the end. I think I may buy shelving board and cut to fit the size requirements of a particular piece. Glass may be too expensive as well. I am going to consult a local glass shop I have used in the past. I may use a combination of both.

I have installed one of two (portrait) lights that I will use to light the display. The other will go on the opposite side of the wall. I have wired them together and they have a dedicated switch. A third electrical access will be located in the center area and will feed a beautiful AE 1A phone lamp that I purchased via EBAY and, am in the process of restoring. It will have a dedicated switch as well. The dedicated switches will be via wireless switching kits from Lowe's for $15 each, easy to install and economical.

I also have plans of how to handle the display of wall phones such as AE80 & subsets as well. All being made easier through the use of shelf standards and brackets. All phones will be able to be wired up to my 308, active and replaceable very quickly.

This will take a while to complete and will most likely be always changing and evolving. Should be fun & feed my need to have a project working at all times! 

I'll post pics as I proceed!

Benny
Benny

Dan/Panther

You have the beginnings of a very nice display area.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Pourme

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 07, 2017, 12:35:07 PM
You have the beginnings of a very nice display area.
D/P

Thanks Dan....My mind is spinning with ideas for it....plans change daily...Ha!
Benny

Nick in Manitou

Will be watching...and stealing ideas!

Nick

oldguy

Nice Benny, I like the way your collection covers a broad range of phones.
Gary

Pourme

Ur welcome to steal anything worth using, ick

Thanks Oldguy!

Here is where I am at as of tonight. This will change before I'm done. The AE needs some work yet.

Some of these are just being put in position to see how I like that configuration. I've decided to use glass shelves on the higher shelves for the sake of visibility, after placing wooden shelves up high, all you see is shelf up close.
Benny

Ktownphoneco

Very nice Benny !     I like those way you've set up the wall displays.    I just might steal an idea or two myself. :-)

Jeff

Pourme

Thanks Jeff,

Feel free to use anything that will help you. That's why we post these things here isn't it?

I didn't know about those horizontal white pieces that act as "hangers" for the standards until my Son N Law told me about them. They enable you to place standards and shelves in places that may not be supported by wall studs. I had never even noticed the notched ends on the standards.

Benny

I added a close up picture of the notched standard and the hanger.
Benny

Pourme

Today I had a glass shop cut me some shelves. I had to put them up and populate them to get a idea of what the display may look like. The center shelf (the one with the Ericophone on it) will have it's A1 lamp phone on it later this week. That will cast light upward toward the top shelves as well as down onto the desktop.

One tip, the lights on top were lights I used on that wall before. I painted the fixtures white, they were brass. I replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs. The light was bright and harsh. I thought of replacing the switch with a dimmer control. Instead, I sprayed the bulbs with a spray made to "frost" the glass. This changed the look of the light. It is much softer and now I don't need the dimmer. The LEDs don't produce heat and don't use near as much power, it turned out very nice.

There will be reconfiguration and I have to run wires for the PBX, but I like the way it is looking so far.

Benny
Benny

Pourme

I have been busy...In order to make my new display wall active, I stripped the wall of all but the standards and wired it. I mounted the 308 behind the wall in the closet, after adding a electric outlet. The wires to each phone were ran from top to bottom under the two middle standards, branching out to the shelves. The pay phone had to be ran separately. The wires are about as hidden as well as they could possibly be. Each extension has a modular plug so the phones can be rotated out by simply unplugging the existing phone and plunging in the next one, very cool! The 308 services the phones on the wall only. A separate 616 located in my dungeon services the phones you see on the desk and other phones throughout the house.  Line #18 on the 616, is the CO on the 308. Therefore dialing ext 18 on a 616 supported phone rings the 8 wired phones on the display wall. Dialing the magic jack CO line on the 616 will make 23 phones ring! What a glorious sound! When non collectors see my collection, the main thing they love isn't the phones themselves but, the ability of them to ring and call each other. Next step will be to wire in and utilize a couple of subsets.

Benny
Benny