News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

redesigning ideas

Started by Babybearjs, July 24, 2021, 06:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I'm thinking again! (eek!) when I designed my phone system years ago I went with the common M1-50 #66 blocks. I have about 13 of them in use. after I completed that I found on sandman.com the 66B4-25 half blocks and standoffs for them. I didn't even know they made standoffs for these, or even had half length blocks available. (6 X 12) anyway, I bought some of the standoffs and was able to daisy chain 3 6 X 12 blocks together and am using them for different purposes in my scheme. now, I need more connections... so.... I'm thinking of replacing 10 of my M1-50 blocks with the 66B4-25 blocks, which I have 2 of right now. the idea comes as various equipment that is in use needs additional cross connects and the B4-25 has 6 pins as where the M1-50 only has 4... plus the B4-25 doesn't need bridging clips unless I opt in for split blocks. the down side is the isolation option... some of the connections need to be isolated so, I might have to make custom blocks. taking out the pins is easy, then all I have to do is to cut them in half and reinstall them... IF I want to go that far... I wish I had known about the standoffs earlier... but I had the m1-50's and they seemed to do the job at the time... so, what's your thinking on this? which do you think I should go with? stay with what I have or upgrade the system? its an interesting idea.... the other thing is that the M1-50's can have a hinged cover, as where the B4-25's cannot.
John

Key2871

I used M25s for two stations, one on each side. Helps cut down on block use.
The 50s I used as a distribution blocl.
Came off those with cross connect wires to the 25s.
I really thought through every thing I had for equipment.
I had several sheets of paper with possible placements of apparatus and considered different lay outs every thing organised and neatly placed so cables wires etc weren't going here and there. Across in front of other stuff, to me it looked cluttered that way.
I even had a connector for another key set to be plugged in for testing purposes.
Using ultrafine Sharpe for marking blocks as to what they served.
Cross connect wires had loop slack for future issues.
A connection fails on a point and the lead has to be pulled and reseated. Loops are very important to have.
KEN

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 24, 2021, 06:30:34 PM
well, I'm thinking again! (eek!) when I designed my phone system years ago I went with the common M1-50 #66 blocks. I have about 13 of them in use. after I completed that I found on sandman.com the 66B4-25 half blocks and standoffs for them. I didn't even know they made standoffs for these, or even had half length blocks available. (6 X 12) anyway, I bought some of the standoffs and was able to daisy chain 3 6 X 12 blocks together and am using them for different purposes in my scheme. now, I need more connections... so.... I'm thinking of replacing 10 of my M1-50 blocks with the 66B4-25 blocks, which I have 2 of right now. the idea comes as various equipment that is in use needs additional cross connects and the B4-25 has 6 pins as where the M1-50 only has 4... plus the B4-25 doesn't need bridging clips unless I opt in for split blocks. the down side is the isolation option... some of the connections need to be isolated so, I might have to make custom blocks. taking out the pins is easy, then all I have to do is to cut them in half and reinstall them... IF I want to go that far... I wish I had known about the standoffs earlier... but I had the m1-50's and they seemed to do the job at the time... so, what's your thinking on this? which do you think I should go with? stay with what I have or upgrade the system? its an interesting idea.... the other thing is that the M1-50's can have a hinged cover, as where the B4-25's cannot.

John i'd move the dsl / modem over to the same side as your dlink router.
Tell us more about your current system, I cant make out your labels on the boxes.

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I agree with Stephen keep your internet stuff in one area. Maybe even keep it away from high voltage stuff like your power unit.
Doing this will keep other noise from becoming a problem.

Put your KSU power plant low, don't run the power cord amungst low voltage Telco wires.

Arrange things in groups, so it's easy to isolate or trouble shoot.

If you have had station issues in the past. Allow for a station to connect at the source, so you can test the station and isolate runs.

Make clear notes, diagrams, like a road map to help you in the future in the event you have issues.

If your using copper for phone lines, do your own NI right near the system so if you need to isolate its as easy as unplugging a cord.

And keep your cords, cables neat. Use wire ties for stations, etc in groups. Don't just grab a handful and tie them up.
Because you will find your self cutting wire ties, trying to isolate your issues.

Simplify, group, know each cable each wire and where it goes. Marking them with tags, what ever. Keep your notes in one place preferably with your system.

The better you do things now, the eaiser it will be to find issues, or change things later.
And the less time you spend trying to find problems
KEN

Babybearjs

thank you for the Idea of moving my DSL Modem. no noise issues on the system right now, just trying to make the system easier to troubleshoot and manage. how does one route cross connects to where they are easy to trace? I have a spool of Red/Wht CC wire as well as some Violet/White. I also have 2 and 3 pair cable that I can use for CC too if needed.. what the most common color use out in the field? or does it matter?
John

BL/WT WT/BL is a common cross connect
also YL/BL BL/YL very common.
That RD/WT stuff I have also seen recently.
So you have 2 VOIP lines one POTS line and an intercom line or two on your K1A1 system?

So what doe that neat wood box do in your system?

Babybearjs

the alarm cabinet is mostly indicator lamps. it will house up to 10 pushbuttons which I have 6 installed right now... the top row of lamps are for the "R" relay on the first 4 units and then the rest are for power indication. the second row is for the station lights. lines 1 -5 and the rest are for power indicators and other services... the 3rd row is dedicated to all ICM units. Stations 1-10 they only glow when the buzzers sound at individual stations. (paralleling the station buzzer connections). right now the buttons aren't being used for anything. I did have the first 2 connected when I was on cable VOIP because the modem the issued me doesn't drop the voltage on abandoned calls and the line had to be manually reset... it was a pain... that one reason why I switched back to the "Bell System" they know how to run a phone network.... (CenturyLink)
John

Interesting, thanks.
I think you should move that box to a display area its very cool.