News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Norwegian Deskset

Started by tubaman, September 09, 2022, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

I've just got this and I'd appreciate if one of our Scandinavian members could tell me a bit more about it.
It was £15 + £12 postage (about US$31 at the current awful rates).
I think the chrome finish is probably not original but it still looks decent.
The dial is now working correctly - just needed a little oil and governor adjustment.
It appears to say 1944 in very faint lettering on the base but inside the receiver is marked 1950 so perhaps the handset isn't the original one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255700063624

"Norwegian phone. can receive calls, but the dial has a 3 second return, (U K standard is 2 seconds) so cannot dial out. Fair condition, possibly used in maritime environment. Also the dial Nos are reversed compared to ours. Not something you will see many of."

FABphones

Whaaat? How do you do this  :o - I didn't even see the listing. Great price. Great addition.

Likely was originally black but looks super cool as a shiny.

Find of the Month nomination.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Look at the auction title - no way to find it unless you go by categories. Good for the lucky buyer! Congratulations!

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on September 09, 2022, 02:12:36 PMWhaaat? How do you do this  :o - I didn't even see the listing. Great price. Great addition.

Likely was originally black but looks super cool as a shiny.

Yes, I was rather surprised it went for my maiden bid, although the high postage cost may have deterred. I have had communications with the seller about the postage as it only cost him half of what he charged me. He just said it was his standard price and gave some nonsense that it also covers Northern Island and the Channel Islands when Royal Mail actually charge the same price for those places as mainland UK. I factored the postage into the price so it is what it is.

I agree that it was likely black originally.

Quote from: countryman on September 09, 2022, 02:59:53 PMLook at the auction title - no way to find it unless you go by categories. Good for the lucky buyer! Congratulations!

Yes, I do search via category and keywords combined. That method isn't perfect and will miss miscategorised or misspelt items but I only have so much time to go through eBay listings.

dsk

This is the Oslo-telephone made from 1934, yours are from 1940 or later. (you may find a weak stamp under the phone)
The circuit is pretty like the WE 302 but use the same capacitor for both voice and ringing.

They were made in any color you wanted... as long as you wanted black! ;D

Circuit:
More about theese: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19290.0

tubaman

Quote from: dsk on September 12, 2022, 05:15:18 AMThis is the Oslo-telephone made from 1934, yours are from 1940 or later. (you may find a weak stamp under the phone)
The circuit is pretty like the WE 302 but use the same capacitor for both voice and ringing.

They were made in any color you wanted... as long as you wanted black! ;D

Many thanks @dsk. Yes, it has a faint stamp on the base for 1944, with '1950' in the receiver so I think the handset was replaced in service. As for the colour I suspected it should be black but I quite like the shiny look so I think it'll be staying that way. That's probably also a better option than me trying to do a decent black paint job on it.  ::)

countryman

When the plating is carefully done it can be accepted as part of the phone's history. I does look attractive, too.

dsk

I definitely agree in keeping it as long as the job is don well. As countryman mentioned it is a part of the telephones history.
Yes it is probably made in 44, parts of the handset are probably replaced. The original cords was straight black cotton-covered 3 wire. They were not lasting as long as the phone, those were used even in the 1980'ies.

If you are going to use it, the load is slightly less than 2 REN, and if those Antwerp transmitter capsules are bad, the Automatic Electric ones may fit. They should probably be shunted with a resistor of 330 oms.  (Between M and T-M terminals in the phone)

It will ring with less power and load if you add a 1 uF capacitor instead of the strap between  the terminals EX and La.