Bell PhoneCenter Stores

Started by paul-f, March 20, 2023, 12:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

'Show Off'.  c 1980
Surprise!  c 1980
Added Attractions.  c 1982
Wouldn't it be Nice.  c 1982

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

markosjal

Quote from: paul-f on March 20, 2023, 01:33:06 PMThis GTE/Automatic Electric 883A Speakerphone was "sold" by the Bell System, with repairs to be done at a Bell PhoneCenter.

I think I saw one on Ebay about a year ago too and was very interested. As I recall they are also phone line powered
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

It's interesting in that none of all those images show the 882 Coquette.

Seems the 881 Cradle Phone was the preferred phone.

FABphones

10 'Be Choosy' magazine advertisements. c 1978.

Be Choosy (white Sculptura)
Be Choosy (brown Sculptura)
Be Choosy (Exeter)
Be Choosy (Exeter)
Be Choosy (Touch-a-Matic)
Be Choosy (early American)
Be Choosy (Mickey Mouse)
Be Choosy (Candlestick)
Be Choosy (Trimline)
Be Choosy (Snoopy)

Each has a witty (tag line) connection as to why the gifter gave the phone.

Note the Exeter model is featured twice, as is the Sculptura (two colourways).

Re the duplicate models in the ads:
Why would the lamp 'choose' that particular model phone, I cannot see the witty connection (in the 'tie that binds' image the same Exeter phone is being held where a tie would be worn).
Likewise the Sculptura on the 'reproductions' ad. There are more apt choices for that ad theme.
Did the wrong telephone go to the photoshoot...

FABphones

'Be Choosy'

FABphones

'Every Home Should Have At Least One Conversation Piece'

paul-f

Here's a good read covering the Hollywood/Hallandale PhoneCenter trial.

"Bell tries do-it-yourself phone service in Florida." Telephony, Oct. 24, 1970. Explains the Florida PhoneCenter trial goals, operation, and quotes from the Florida General Exchange Tariff showing terms and pricing.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=phone+center+store+trial+1970
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Is the address of that store anywhere? I just tried a Google search but could not find anything. I live not far from Hallandale Beach and thought it might be interesting to see what it looks like today. If I can find it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I cannot find an address but the screenshot Paul added (reply 2 above) mentions it was in a 'new apartment community' (I found a copy without the flash on image so have added it below).

Also found a good article which details the new trails of 'Concept Stores':

'As the PhoneCenter Evaluation Guidelines Manual points out, however, ... it must be recognized that the conditions under which the Hallandale/Milwaukee trials were run were not intended to be models for all future PhoneCenters; rather they were trials of the concept'.

Date of article appears to be 1974. The additional images below are of the Hallandale store.
https://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/pdf/phonecenter1974.pdf

FABphones

Fast-growing PhoneCenters are already using modular telephone sets. Residences in an area served by a PhoneCenter are prewired with modular connecting blocks. Customers can go to a PhoneCenter, see the actual colors, styles, and types of phones available, and have their selected sets assembled "to order" and installed without waiting for special equipment or wiring changes.

From this article 'Telephone Sets Go Mod (Modular, That Is)'.
September 1974.
http://bellsystempractices.org/Miscellaneous/Modular_Set_Intro_-_BLR.pdf

HarrySmith

Thanks CJ. I did see the same article in my search. Maybe I will find something one day.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 23, 2023, 07:20:52 AMThanks CJ...
...Maybe I will find something one day.

Nothing to confirm address that I can find, but using what little info I have maybe the PhoneCenter was in the Sunrise Shopping Center (Sunrise Shopping Centre, constructed in 1954. Enclosed in 1980 and renamed the Galleria). Much (if not all) of it gone now but it was the place to shop at the time so makes sense to locate it there.

As you are in the locale maybe you know of a gov building which would hold records for retail outlets in that location. Maybe a search for the period 1971 - 1974 as we know the PhoneCenter was there at that time (we don't know exactly which month 1970 it was opened, although possibly September/ October). An earlier 1970 record may miss it.

I have found other retail store lists but not for that time period.

:)

Kellogg Kitt

In the 1980s, I noticed in several malls that the Phone Center Store was located right next door to Radio Shack, and those two were the last inline stores before the anchor store Sears.  It was probably a random occurrence, and just by chance I happened to see so many of them, but at the time, I thought it was intentional placement.  So, whenever I was in an unfamiliar mall, I knew how to find the Phone Center Store -- just walk toward Sears, and it would be right there!

Wade

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 22, 2023, 04:29:19 PMIs the address of that store anywhere...

Have spent some spare time searching (misc keywords) but no luck.

Quote...maybe the PhoneCenter was in the Sunrise Shopping Center...

Since found an interesting website which has photos and floor plans of malls in the area but no phonecenter listed in the retail tenants lists.

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/search/label/Ft.%20Lauderdale-Hollywood%20Malls

FABphones

Exterior sign 'Phonecenter Store'.
Michigan Bell 1977.