Dennis' Very Early 1954 500H for $125 BIN on ebaY
11 (42.3%)
AE_Collector's collection of about 27 phones given to him
9 (34.6%)
Russ Kirk's two very original American Electric Two Boxers
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for December 2012 Here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

davidbholcomb

I will nominate my Automatic Electric Type 18 Magneto Wall Monophone, AE-14, it is not rare or expensive (it is not even a rotary phone), because it demonstrates how this forum provides a tremendous resource for our hobby. The members are quick and eager to share their knowledge and experience. Click HERE to see the thread in the forum. Thanks to all those who have helped with this phone and others that I have posted questions about. And whoever maintains this site, THANK YOU! I guess the real find of the year was this website.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Nick in Manitou

I would like to "second" this statement, "I guess the real find of the year was this website".

Thanks!

sebbel

I'll end the year by submitting my Burled Walnut  Uniphone No.2 for 15$.

I submitted the same phone back in April. Back then I have no idea what it might be worth or even that I got a deal at 50$. Unlike the numerous 302s candle sticks and black uniphones I've come across. Its one of the few phones that I've always considered a true collectible in my small collection. As such I've never considered selling it but have always wondered what it may be worth.

Now that I had 2 I put this one ebay one evening last week at with a starting price of 75$ - BIN 275$. It sold so fast that I still don't know what they're really worth!

Here are the before an after pics.
Seb.

TelePlay

I'll nominate yet another one of my 302's just acquired today.

While my wife wasn't looking (I was downtown alone), I walked into an antique store to look for a lantern. Noticed a sign at the end of a long hall that said check out our basement. Not much down there but as I walked by the third of about only 10 cubicles down in that cold, damp basement, I look backward and there on the floor in a corner staring up at me was, yes, another 302.

It's a pretty close matching date 4th quarter '45 metal body set with a cloth coiled handset cord (in very good shape) and a cloth line cord (in equally as good shape). Was thinking '45 was quite late for a metal body being near the end of the war. Maybe someone replaced a plastic shell with a metal one. Only date that doesn't match is the ringer coming in at 2-41. It's a 5H dial dated H-11-45. The handset is in great shape. Only work needed is to remove the residue from two racing stripes attached to the base just above the feet. The feet also need to be recovered.

I asked them if they would drop the price because it was as I said missing the "number holder thingy on the dial" and they knocked off 10% so slowly walked out of the store with a smile on my face having paid $43 for it.

Just another 302 but in very good condition for a reasonable price. Can't imagine how much rust would have formed on the phone if it spent another month or two in their basement.

Dave F

I would like to nominate this NOS Beige 500 P/U (Mushroom) which I got in an eBay BIN for $149.00 plus $15.51 S/H.  I discovered the auction just 10 minutes after it was listed and immediately jumped on it.  This beautiful phone is dated January, 1959, and has a soft plastic housing.  It even came with the original dial light transformer.  Here is the auction listing:
http://tinyurl.com/cjhumj6

DavePEI

You lucky man, Dave - that is beautiful!

Dave H.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

Congratulations on that Buy It Now, Dave.  It's a beautiful phone.

Another member sent me a link to that auction when it was still live.  I got it at 6 minutes past the hour, exactly when you bought it.  By the time I clicked the link a few moments later it was gone.  Glad it went to a good home. 

Dave F

Quote from: DavePEI on December 11, 2012, 03:40:26 PM
You lucky man, Dave - that is beautiful!

Dave H.
Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 11, 2012, 06:29:50 PM
Congratulations on that Buy It Now, Dave.  It's a beautiful phone.

Another member sent me a link to that auction when it was still live.  I got it at 6 minutes past the hour, exactly when you bought it.  By the time I clicked the link a few moments later it was gone.  Glad it went to a good home. 

Thanks guys.  This was one of those rare cases of being in the right place at exactly the right moment.  There had only been four looks at the auction before I saw it.  Whenever I find myself in a position like that, I tend to hesitate and ask myself if I'm not really seeing what I think I'm seeing.  Nobody wants to make a mistake snap decision and waste big bucks on a piece of junk.  But there isn't much time to decide, as any delay would certainly mean losing out to somebody else.

DF

Dennis Markham

I will throw my hat into the ring with some "Mushroom" competition.  I'll nominate the 1954 Model 500H that I came upon on eBay. Similar to the manner in which Dave found his, I stumbled upon the auction just moments after the Buy It Now had been listed.  The phone needed some work but is a very early release of the Western Electric lighted phones.  As seen here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8083.15

Doug Rose

Dennis...Everytime I look at it, I am just amazed. I don't collect 500 sets, BUT I want one!!!! Outstanding phone.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Doug.  There must be another one out there.  We'll just have to keep ours eyes open AND be in the right place at the right time.

AE_Collector

I am going to throw the collection of phones that I received yesterday into the competition this month.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8392.0

Any more finds this month? Last chance.....

Terry

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Seven choices to vote for to end the year. Everyone gets two votes so go for it! Last chance for 2012. Happy New Year Everyone.

Terry