News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual plugs on phones...

Started by twocvbloke, June 01, 2012, 02:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I was just going through my electrical stuff today, and happened upon my 5Amp BS546 mains plugs, and it reminded me about something in a thread on this forum, when looking for TMC phones, I noticed the one in the following thread was using a 2-Amp BS546 mains plug (used before our current one-for-all 13Amp plugs were standard) as it's plug, rather than a telephone plug...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3586.0

Back in the day, us brits used to have 5 different plugs for our mains electrickery, 2-pin 2Amp and 5Amp plugs, and 3-pin 2Amp, 5Amp and 15Amp plugs, some countries like South Africa and India still have the 5A and 15A variants as their standard plugs...

But, to see a telephone using the 2A plug, which is still used for centrally-switch lighting (like lamps and whatnot), is a tad odd, so it got me wondering, has anyone else come across unusual plugs attached to phones (or anything really!!) that were meant for a different purpose?  ???

And a pic of the three sizes of 3-pin BS546 plugs (the design varied, but the pin spacing is the same), the 2A is the right-hand one... :)

AE_Collector

I've seen North American AC plugs on phones on ebaY before. Someone's Homebrew portable phone who doesn't consider the lack of safety of doing something like that.

Terry

Owain

the Italian telephone socket is the same as BS546 5-amp connectors.

dsk

The Norwegian 3 pin plug used from late 40ies I guess, looks like the Italian one, I'm not sure if it is equal:
The 6 pin plug was used for magneto telephones. 2 line plugs, 2 battery plugs, 2 external ringer plugs.

Later the RJ45 (= LAN) has been standard. First used some odd configurations, but now the 2 center pins are line pins.

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on June 01, 2012, 05:51:41 PM
I've seen North American AC plugs on phones on ebaY before. Someone's Homebrew portable phone who doesn't consider the lack of safety of doing something like that.
Plug in the phone, and your eyes light up! :D You light up my life! One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingys, Hello, Hello, Hello? Anyone there?
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

Use an AC plug on a phone isn't too swift.
Howard

stub

Here is Automatic Electric's portable telephone plug for 1934.  They fit in the standard electrical box.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

twocvbloke

I can't help but notice that the pin spacing and size looks about the same as your average US NEMA 1-15 plug & socket, at least with that one you have a third pin preventing plugging it into a mains socket, though plugging say a table lamp into the telephone socket probably would cause some fun at the exchange... :D

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 01, 2012, 02:22:44 PM
Back in the day, us brits used to have 5 different plugs for our mains electrickery, 2-pin 2Amp and 5Amp plugs, and 3-pin 2Amp, 5Amp and 15Amp plugs, some countries like South Africa and India still have the 5A and 15A variants as their standard plugs...

Not to stray too off topic, but only five? In the US we've twenty-five!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NEMA_simplified_pins.svg

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on July 16, 2012, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on June 01, 2012, 02:22:44 PM

Not to stray too off topic, but only five? In the US we've twenty-five!

Realistically, 99% of the electrical outlets in homes in the USA/Canada are the NEMA 5-15 type.  Electric ovens, clothes dryers, and the like are more complicated.

Larry

paul

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 16, 2012, 04:37:00 PM
Electric ovens, clothes dryers, and the like are more complicated.

Not really, if it's older than ~1997 it expects three-wire outlets (NEMA-10), more recent, four wire (NEMA-14). There's really only 2 outlets for the heavy-duty stuff, the 30 and 50 amp versions (higher and lower are more specialty), and 3 and 4 wire, so you get 1 from the appliance rating and the other from the wall.

The real fun part is changing out from hard-wired appliances  :o

twocvbloke

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on July 16, 2012, 04:23:06 PMNot to stray too off topic, but only five? In the US we've twenty-five!

Yep, domestic household plugs, later became three when the two-pin ones were dropped, then became one when the BS1363 13 Amp plug came into existence cos apparently people weren't careful enough with their wiring and they were trying to save on copper use with ring-main wiring... :D

There are plenty of other plugs and sockets here in the UK in use, I can't be bothered to count them though... :D