News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Should I go for it?

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 28, 2014, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Today, my aunt who alike me, likes to scrounge around on the net and find cool old pieces, saw this on the list.

Link: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/atq/4386528338.html ( dead link 04-21-21 )

So, I talked to the seller, and he/she, after me inquiring about the phone, replied with having 7 holes in the ear piece and the date of 6-64. Now the condition looks a bit discolored, but it seems to have the option of both coild cords and a 4 prong plug. For 20 dollars it could be nice, but it is a tad discolored and not soft plastic.

So, what do you think, should I go for it? I'm sure I could talk down the seller, but maybe it isn't worth it?

Ben

Modification of orig: Notice that 4 prong spliter, that can manage two phones, I've never seen one of those, and it would be helpful, maybe another positive reason to buy it.

TelePlay

Prices are over the place for a 60s pink 500. But, it looks like you could at least double your money with a quick refurb.

Sargeguy

That cord looks faded.  A good project if you want to practice but I would not buy it with the intention of an easy flip.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Then again that plug is worth about $10-15.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

Yeah, I agree with you guys, it has good potential, but not easily. Maybe something to keep around, restore it right, and sell my other pink 500.

Ben

twocvbloke

WEBellSystemChristian

Go for it, Ben. If you decide to keep it, you could put it next to your red '58, since they both have coiled line cords.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I think you guys are right, I will probably buy it, hopefully today or tomorrow, my mother will be home, so I can get a ride.

I'l have to try Mo's method on the cords, as it looks like it will work. And maybe a bit of sanding, I've finally got that procedure down, for the most part.

Ben 

Contempra

For $20 you don't lost a lot and a curly cord can be changed easily Ben. Go for it....

twocvbloke

I'd say get it, after all, in for a penny, in for a pound... :)

(Meaning, you've mentioned it now (the penny), so you have to get it (the pound)!!! ;D )

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 29, 2014, 12:13:43 PM
I'd say get it, after all, in for a penny, in for a pound... :)

I'd say so!  ::)

After all, if you don't pick it up at that price (and with no shipping), you'll regret not having picked it up once it's gone (I think that is symptom #3 of Phoneitis, regret of not having done something, or is it #2, nope #3:

1) I have to have it now and can't stop myself from buying it;
2) I need more of them now and if different colors if possible;
3) I should have bought it when I had the chance, darn;
4) I can find one just like the one that I let get away right now;
5) I have plenty of storage room for another phone;
6) etc etc etc . . . )

Dave203

I'd go for it Ben,
It's only $20 bucks and at least you can travel to pick it up saving time and money on shipping :D

Some people like me don't even have a pink in their collection yet so no matter the date I may be interested in buying one some day. Might as well get it while you can. I kick myself for not picking up all the phones I've seen over the years  :-\

Good luck buddy!! ;)

WesternElectricBen

Okay guys, I've contacted the seller, who gave me the address, which put me down on the item.

It's in a really rough and unsafe neighborhood on the North end, with especially our car, would not be a good idea going too. I offered a meet up location, like a library, but they said they didn't have a car.

I guess, sometimes you need to take a reality check and consider the value vs. safety.

Unless they can meet up, I'm going to have to pass..
Ben.