News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A few ??? about Stromberg Carlson 1248s

Started by foots, March 29, 2010, 04:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I recently won a SC 1248 and am fairly excited about getting it. I've noticed there seems to be very little info floating around the 'net about these and I was wondering a few things.

1)  What was the first and last years these were made?
2)  When did the hookswitch plungers go from black plastic to metal or vice versa?
3)  When were the baseplates made with the clear window in the bottom of them and when were they made without the window?

Oh, and here's a few of the auction pictures.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Wallphone

Mike Neale (aka Kellogg Mike) also has a Stromberg-Carlson website.
> http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/ <
You might want to look through some of the information here to get the dates.
Dougpav

foots

I had come across that site before but I went through it again yesterday. Not a whole lot of info there and definately not much on the 1248. The SCs don't seem to be very popular which is good for me since it keeps the prices down.

bingster

I have this exact same configuration, but it doesn't have a clear window anywhere.  Where would there be one?
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bingster on March 31, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
I have this exact same configuration, but it doesn't have a clear window anywhere.  Where would there be one?
The clear window is at the "bump" on the bottom.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

foots

Here's a good picture of one below.  

bingster

That's interesting. I don't think I've noticed one before. Mine is the all-metal version.
= DARRIN =

foots

Does anybody here know the meanings of the markings on the bottom of the 1248?

SPECIAL
1248WB
Mod. 8

I wonder what the "SPECIAL" is for - maybe some weird wiring or something? I have looked around the 'net for info but as of yet haven't found very much on 1248s.

Craig T

No clue what the markings are, but that is a great phone you added to your collection. I like the crank handle on the side, very cool!  8)

foots

Quote from: Craig T on April 01, 2010, 02:48:08 PM
No clue what the markings are, but that is a great phone you added to your collection. I like the crank handle on the side, very cool!  8)

Thanks Craig T. I'm still waiting on the brown van to drop it off at my door, then its resto time. I'm hoping to get another one soon so I can set up an intercom to my brother's house next door, if possible.

foots

Well the 1248 arrived today. Against my request the handset was left on the cradle, but it survived unscathed.  The phone was very tightly wrapped in bubble wrap. I think what saved it is the combination of large bubble wrap and the fact that the seller wrapped it in many, many layers and was in a sturdy box filled with a lot of popcorn. Its a little bit dusty but otherwise in good shape. My one concern is that the magneto is hard to turn. I'm guessing that it just may need to be cleaned or something minor like that. 

keysys

If you're turning the crank when the handset is on-hook, it should turn somewhat freely.  But if you're cranking with the handset off-hook, you'll feel resistance.

Also, if there's a short in the line cord (or anywhere in the line when you connect two of these phones together), you'll also feel resistance from the crank.  In the first picture, it looks as if the spade lugs at the end of the line cord are touching one another.  Make sure that they're not touching.

In another picture, the outer jacket of the line cord appears damaged at the point where the cord enters the base of the set.  Check the integrity of the insulation of each individual conductor at that location.

foots

Keysys, thanks I did no know that about the switch hook and possible short in the line cord. Both handset and line cords are in good shape with no damage to them. The crank seems to be in need of a cleaning as is sounds a bit "dry" when rotating it and the amount of force required to turn it would also lead me to beleive this. 

McHeath

Pretty neat phone, that crank gives it presence.  I know nothing about these models so am of no help there, but can cheer you on.

foots

Quote from: McHeath on April 02, 2010, 09:35:56 PM
Pretty neat phone, that crank gives it presence.  I know nothing about these models so am of no help there, but can cheer you on.

Thanks McHeath. I think I'm going to add a few more mag phones to my collection.