News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A trip to the phone museum

Started by McHeath, March 30, 2010, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

This coming Friday, April 2, we are driving up to Stockton California to visit the JKL Museum of Telephony. 

Here's a link:

http://www.johnlarue.net/cgi-bin/photos.isc

Seem they give a guided tour as well as letting you prowl about on your own.  It looks like quite the impressive collection, they even have working switchboards it seems.  Anyone been there before?

Jim Stettler

Heck yes,
A great place.  I visited about 5 years ago. They were in the process of doubling the size of the museum. It was a lot of fun, I wished I had more time to poke around into the the storage buildings and convince them to sell me some spare items.
There is a lot to see at the museum. Over the years I have sold some items to the museum as well.

The more interesting items are:

A  brass WE sign on the exterior, a clear trimline wall phone, an autovon call director and about 6' of books in the library.

I hope to make it out again within the next few years.

The museum is hosting the underground telephone show in Lyon's, NE.
I am planning on attending.
Jim

You will have a fun time Mcheath.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I met Wayne at the Anaheim show, a real nice, and helpful, and knowledgeable person.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I met Wayne once at the Mason, MI show several years ago.  As Dan said, a very nice guy and very knowledgeable.  He has family in the Lansing, MI area so the trip was for two reasons, to attend the show and visit his family.  Back in the good ole days when one could see who the other bidder was on eBay he and I locked horns on a few items.  It was actually more fun then.

GusHerb

That place looks awesome! Now I gotta figure out a way to get there next time I'm in California...
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Contact them, They will try to accommodate your schedule to fit in a visit.
They are located near Murphy's , CA. The county seat of Callaverres (sp?) County.

(the place that had a celebrated jumping frog, back in the days of Mark Twain)
I think John LaRue  drives his Telephone truck in  the parade.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 30, 2010, 11:16:52 PM
Back in the good ole days when one could see who the other bidder was on eBay he and I locked horns on a few items.  It was actually more fun then.

I agree, I have spent considerably LESS time on ebay the last couple of years since they came up with the coded system for bidders. It just isn't fun any more and consequently I spend less time looking around which leads to less time placing bids. :(

It was fun watching what others were bidding on and in some cases you could discuss the item with other bidders if you knew them. On more than one occasion I refrained from bidding because of whom I would be bidding against.  That might be a negative in ebaY's eyes I guess. Over all I find that ebaY has become a less interesting place to spend time, primarily because of the changes they made to the bidders names.

Dennis Markham

Terry, there was another good thing about being able to see the eBay bidder's name.  As I was learning my way around (and still learning) different telephones, if something caught my eye and I saw that an established collector like Wayne Merit (keeping it on topic) who is "oldcranker" had made a bid, I knew I was on the right track.  If a real collector was interested in the item then this must be good, or what I thought it was.  It was only after I found a particular item on eBay....the name validated my hunch.  It also helped me to learn which collectors had similar interests to my own.