Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Here is all my collection.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny:

Don't you know by now that you cannot keep them all in the same room??  They tend to multiply faster than rabbits.   ;D

However, none of the rest of us have been able to find a cure for it or even to practice any kind of restraint.

Keep up the good work.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

I beleive Kenny has "Telephone Fever". It happens when you get bit by the Telephone Bug. There is no known cure. The only remedy that helps ease the pangs is to acquire more telephones.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

Very nice, Kenny.  I especially like the SC wall phone.  I also like the Kellogg "banjo" phone.  I don't think that I have ever seen a 500 with an F-type handset.  Did you find that phone with that handset?

Larry

Kenny C

sure did it is a SC with a F4 handset and a WE dial a real franken phone

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 04, 2010, 12:19:15 AM
sure did it is a SC with a F4 handset and a WE dial a real franken phone

Kenny,
Is the F4 marked bell or Western Electric?

If it is WE then the phone could of been originally like that and used by an independant telephone company.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

western electric with an ITT handset cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 04, 2010, 12:34:45 AM
western electric with an ITT handset cord

Kenny,
It sounds like it could easily be from an independant phone company. Many times they ordered their phones without dials and/or handsets.
Sometimes it was to match their "plant", Most times it was about $.

I suspect that yours is more likly an independant vs a homemade frankenphone. most home repairs were made with 1 donor phone or part.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Kenny,
It is probably a historical accurate phone. Much better than being a home-made franken phone.
Stuff like that I leave as I found it. They make interesting examples.

As you start looking thru old catalogs you can find that many phones were sold without handsets or dials.

You can try checking old "Criss-Cross"* directories for the phone #. I would try to find a directory from the year the phone was built or a couple of years newer. Once you get an address you can research the phone company for that address. If you can determine that it is an independant phone. Print out the info and store it with the phone.

Jim

* a "criss Cross" directory can go by many names. Most towns had at least a "city Directory" or Polk's directory, .
These books list by addresses and by phone #'s.
The referance libraian at your local libray can help you get started on the research.

Jim
You live, You learn,

McHeath

You've got a good solid collection here, a unique SC wall phone, the banjo phone, some good early WE 500s and a Princess as well.

That unusual 500 with the F series handset is curious, but probably phone company done.  I have a 354 wall phone that has a G series handset, undoubtably added by Ma Bell as the phone has lived it's life in this house and no one before be was a phone collector.  The handset and cord on the 354 are all dated 1970, while the chassis is 1951, probably the owner wanted a new handset or the old one went bad.

Jim Stettler

McHeath, What style of elements are in your handset?
Jim
You live, You learn,

AET

Collection sure is coming along nicely!!!!  And they do multiply if you keep them all in one room!

funny story - today I was talking with my ma about how pa should rid of all his touch tones and use my rotaries throughout the house.  I told her I had 35 rotaries she could choose from and she said "35 phones?" skepticly and I said yes, somewhere around there.  Well to put it simply, she didn't think I had that many.  Well, we went and counted and it was actually 43 and 3 touch tones! 
- Tom

Kenny C

I have a AE 80 I am working on too.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
         Nice set of phones!!!!!  Have you ever finished that AE 90 ?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield