"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wall jack distribution.

Started by EdPDX, September 23, 2016, 12:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdPDX

Hello all,

Just moved into a home built in 1998. There are phone jack (standard 4 pin) in every room.
I own a bunch of POTS phones 60s/70s vintage.

I stream my TV programming through ROKU (Amazon, Netflix, etc) so I don't get CABLE. Comcast said they could give me both internet service and phone service for my POTS phone. When the installer got here he said the POTS phones probably wouldn't work and after giving me a new phone number told me to buy a set of roaming wireless phones. I don't want them.

Two week hence I decided to see if there was a work around. After coming to this sight I found a way to get the initial phone to work... somewhat. I could get a dial tone, but could not dial out past it. AND the phone- a SC 500DQM would not ring. The wiring, I'm sure is stock, so I jumped the terminal marked G (where the Black and Yellow LINES terminate) to the L2 (where the Green LINE terminates). Now the ringer works when a call comes in. I can now receive incoming calls.

I still cannot dial out past the dial tone. Is there a remedy?

poplar1

Unfortunately, most cable modems do not recognize rotary dial pulses. So you either have to have at least one Touch-Tone (pushbutton) phone for dialing out, or some device to translate the rotary dial pulses to Touch-Tone.

Many of us use a Panasonic KX-T61610 Key System for that purpose. It also allows you to connect up to 16 phones. You can call from phone to phone, answer an outside call from any extension, or dial 9 to get the outside line.

Others use a Dialgizmo. One Dialgizmo jack connects directly to the back of the Comcast modem so that only one is required for all phones on the same line.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

What Brand Cable Modem do you have? I was on a Cable One line 6 years ago and was able to use rotary dial phones with no problem. but, as stated already it might have been because there was a combination if phones on the line. If I remember, The tech did tell me that the modem they issued was reverse compatible. you might want to do some research on the different cable modems to see which ones support dial pulse.
John

Dave203

I also wonder what brand modem you have. Comcast gave me an Arris cable modem and my rotary phones do not dial out :( so I have them connected to another box made by Innomedia and that works for dialing out and ringing of my older phones just fine.

dsk

If a wireless phone rings, it get signals the Panasonic probably reads, and the Panasonic  KX-T61610 rings most telephones with no problem. That is probably the best advice. Regarding the wiring, it is important to cut the connection out of the house before you feed the signal from your modem.  Since your modem doesn't ring your 500 telephone, the Dialgizmo only solves the problem of understanding rotary phones.  If you only want to ring one telephone the 616 may be a little overkill, but 308 will not cost far less.

dsk