News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won a 5302

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 02, 2009, 07:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

I've had good luck getting paint off by using Brasso on a rag and rubbing. It comes off fairly easily, and leaves a nice shine behind.

Dan/Panther

I use warm water and dish soap, and a soft bristled toothebrush. Works great, also be careful of water temperature.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

I managed to remove most of the paint.  Soaking is sudsy water helped for most of the spots, but the paint was pretty tough, so some spots required sanding.  I tried to polish the phone, but the soft plastic is really soft, so it did not come out so well.  On one side of the shell, the surface of the plastic is disintegrating as you can see in the second picture below.  The more I try to sand it, the worse it looks.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?  BTW, the shell is stamped 3 1960.

The ringer problem was the bias spring.  After moving it, the ringer started to work.  The rubber handset cord had some static in the area where it enters the phone.  I tried to fix it by taping a strip of stiff plastic (from an old debit card) to the wires where the exit the out rubber to keep them from flexing.   I would like to avoid having to replace the cord which is in otherwise good condition after a cleaning and minor recoiling.

Larry