"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German W49 in Ivory

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 08, 2015, 10:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

I received this phone on Monday and just finished reassembling it.  I was able to glue the long crack in the back together, but it is still visible.  There are also cracks on both rear edges near where the cradle assembly is attached, but I was not able to clean them well.  The rest of the phone looks nice, except that is a small piece of some sort of dark foreign material embedded into the shell in the front near the bottom.  The seller included an NOS handset (minus elements) in mint condition, so I used it.  The extra cradle which she included is not the correct type for this phone, so it will sit here until a use is found for it.

The cords are not original.  The four conductor line cord has a molded four-prong plug on the end, but the main two prongs are actually connected to the red and BLACK wires.  The four conductor handset cord was probably originally a line cord with red, green, black, and yellow wires.  Someone secured both ends of it with small nylon straps.

The phone does work.  Someone had snipped one of the wires to the ringer, but I was able to solder it back.

Larry

unbeldi

These were made by numerous firms.  Any indication on the inside as to the manufacturer?

I think this cradle is for the wall mounted version, or the convertible type.

LarryInMichigan

The name "Haganuk" appears in it.  The phone was designed to be convertible between desk and wall configurations.  The parts under the dial and the cradle were designed so that they could be attached in two possible positions, 180 deg apart.  The screws which hold the shell to the base are in the front and back instead of the bottom like most German phones so that the phone could be hung on a wall.  Mine will likely remain in the desk configuration.

Larry

unbeldi

Yes, Hagenuk was a major manufacturer for this series, and I believe the W49 in particular.

unbeldi

Is there an official material test logo molded into the plastic inside?
I am curious whether the material type is actually designated as Bakelite, or as Melamine.

dsk

I believe these has been made with different ringers, single or double coils and different ohmic values.
I got a Hagenuk Wall telephone (bunker telephone, I know positively this was put service in the winter 82-83 and it had 2 500 ohms coils in parallel that equals 250 ohms! I could not get it working because the REN was so high that the exchange took it as off hook. Soldering the coils in series solved my problem.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

I think that there are some of the funny looking German certification logos with numbers molded into the plastic.  I will have to look later.  What numbers should I be expecting to find?  The surface of the plastic looks like plaskon.  Perhaps that is very similar to melamine.

I didn't pay much attention to how the ringer is wired other than that it was disconnected on one end when I got the phone.  It seems to ring properly now.

Larry

unbeldi

Just checking on the manufacturers.... have to correct myself.  Turns out the W49 was a development of Hagenuk, and we probably wouldn't find them made by others, at least not many.  The W49 was the convertible version of the W48.  The non-convertible wall-mounted version was the W51.

These were made in black, ivory, dark maroon red and light gray.

unbeldi

You might look for something like we discussed in this thread before:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12669.msg134299#msg134299

I don't know the manufacturer code for Hagenuk, and it's not in the list that I kept.  Hagenuk may actually had the housings molded by another company, in which case it would be that company that is registered.
I don't know the code for melamine either, but in case it is a urea-based formaldehyde resins, it might be K.  There is a variety of Bakelite codes, depending on the type of filler in the resin.

LarryInMichigan

in the handset caps from the NOS handset, there appears to be an "L6" at the top of the symbol.  At the bottom is a "1" with "31" sideways to the right of it.  On the caps of the handset which was wired to the phone, there is a "6y" at the top of the symbol with the same "1" and "31" at the bottom.  I can open the phone at a later time.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 08, 2015, 06:01:48 PM
in the handset caps from the NOS handset, there appears to be an "L6" at the top of the symbol.  At the bottom is a "1" with "31" sideways to the right of it.  On the caps of the handset which was wired to the phone, there is a "6y" at the top of the symbol with the same "1" and "31" at the bottom.  I can open the phone at a later time.

Larry

That's interesting.   L6 is the symbol for Krone & Co. of Berlin.

31 was a later replacement for the letter S, which is for a phenol resin with wood flour as a filler.

It is a bit of a mystery to me how they would have kept the wood flour from turning dark brown under the heat and pressure of molding.  I have heard the claim of course, that ivory Bakelite-type resins exit.  But I suspect they are some form of Duroplast, which did not use wood, but other fillers.

LarryInMichigan

The handset does have the Krone logo also molded into it.  The back of finger wheel has the same codes as the original handset.

Larry

unbeldi

The code 6y  is for the company Ernst Steger & Co.

Regarding the 1 and 31, I think that actually means the material type 131, not 31 as I stated earlier.  I don't know what 131 is though. There existed a German handbook for these, at least I hope it actually contained the codes, but I still have not been able to find a copy.

Matilo Telephones

The W49 was exclusively made by HAGENUK. In its desk configuration it is very similar to the W48 and is often mistaken for a W48. The W48 was made by several manufacturers.
The W49 and W48 share the same dial and handset. So parts may have been swapped.

These white phones were often made of Urea-formaldehyde here in Western Europe, which is similar but not the same as Duroplast and Melamine.

But I do not have a W49 myself, so I am curious as to what the markings inside have to say about that.

Friedrich Reiner has some Original parts for the W48 that may come in handy for your telephone, as many of these parts are the same for the W49, like the cords:

http://www.telefonmanufaktur.de/shop/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=27gpv3vq2vf10ihhk65r3vk542
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

I cannot manage to get a good picture of the markings inside the shell, so I will have to describe them.  In one corner is a "HAGENUL KIEL" logo, and in another corner is the certification symbol with "40" on top and "131" below.  Near that is a number "5863/1".  These are all molded into the plastic.

I took a look at that German website with phone parts.  The prices are somewhat out of the budget for this phone, so it will have to manage with its current cords.

Larry