News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Lamp Sockets

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 03, 2014, 03:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Does anyone here know anything about old lamp sockets?  I bought an old floor lamp at an estate sale today.  The mogul lamp socket was full of insect carcasses and otherwise dirty and corroded, so I figured that I would disassemble and clean it.  I didn't realize that it was so complicated and had so many parts.  Now I have no idea how it goes back together or if or where I could get a replacement.  There is a logo with an 'F' in a circle on several parts.  I do not know whose logo it is.  The white porcelain socket is for a three-way mogul bulb, and it has a metal bracket with a 1/2" threaded hole at the bottom (for attachment to the lamp).  "CAT3735" is molded into the bottom of the bottom porcelain piece.  I am guess that it is a part catalog number.  In the bottom of the other porcelain part, "2688" is molded  If someone can provide me with some information about how to assemble this thing, I would be most appreciative.  I searched online, but I could not find anything that looked like this.

Thank You

Larry

TelePlay

Can you post a picture or two of the outside and parts?

LarryInMichigan

The parts are all in a plastic bag now.  I might take some of them to a lighting supply store in the area and see what I can find.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I gave up on the mogul socket for now.  Using some parts from the basement, I was able to attach a standard size lamp socket (salvaged from a phone lamp) into this lamp, so I am satisfied for the present.

Larry

Scotophor

I could probably have helped you out with the reassembly, if you provided us with some photos of the parts.

I have a similar torchiere floor lamp here, with the 3-way mogul-base socket. I have a couple bulbs for it too, but I stopped using them years ago, and with recent regulations they will probably soon become unobtainium. I was lucky enough last year to get an email reply to a years-old forum post, pointing me to an eBay listing of a mogul-to-medium adapter for 3-way sockets, which some enterprising person now makes. Such a thing had apparently previously never existed. I had long considered making one myself, and may yet do so someday, because the eBay adapter is made with the medium socket sitting above the mogul base instead of within it, adding an unnecessary inch and a half or so to its height. At any rate, I can now use my unaltered vintage lamp with modern 3-way medium-base fluorescent bulbs.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6