Main Menu

Check out this 70's Exeter

Started by bushman, October 21, 2010, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I know it's a designline. But I had to have this one!! ;D

Bushman

Adam

These Exeter phones look nice in pics, but have you ever seen one in person?  I liked these sets until I actually held one, and had one on the desk in front of me.  IMHO, they are unnecessarily big and clunky.  But, that's just me...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

I've never seen a pattern extend to the cord that way. That's really something. 
= DARRIN =

cchaven

Quote from: bingster on October 21, 2010, 10:17:44 PM
I've never seen a pattern extend to the cord that way. That's really something. 

Now that's a cord that would be pretty difficult to find if it needed replacing and you wanted to keep the original looks

Jeff

paul-f

If that's a Western handset cord, what's the color code?   ???
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

I really doubt that cord came with the phone. It looks like a business giveaway. The red is not on the phone and the pattern really doesn't match. It is a nice add to the phone, but I doubt its original to the phone. My 2 cents...Doug
Kidphone

bushman

I checked the cord and it is in fact a WE cord. This is also the second Exeter I have seen with a patterned cord. The first one was on Ebay and I got outbid on it. It had the floral applique on it with a similar patterned cord but in green and yellow.

Bushman

paul-f

Quote from: bushman on October 22, 2010, 08:08:04 PM
I checked the cord and it is in fact a WE cord. <snip>

What facts support your statement?

For example, there is an ordering guide in several issues of BSP 503-200-100 and BSP 503-200-125 that show the handset cord for a white Exeter is H4DU-58  (white).

It's certainly possible a patterned cord was available as an option or promotion, but there should be a paper trail indicating how to order it.  If handled like other cords, the code should be H4DU-xxx, where xxx is the color code.

bushman

Let me clarify my statement The cord has a WE logo on both plugs. I didn't mean that I had a paper trail proving that it originally came with that telephone. I apologize for the confusion.

Bushman

paul-f

Perhaps someone will run across a reference to the cord in a 501 division BSP or marketing document.

It would be interesting to see how they coded it, as most of the color codes are for solid colors.
  http://www.paul-f.com/wecolors.htm

Just4Phones

I bought this phone when the phone company had their stores in the late 70's. I wanted one of each (Mickey mouse, Candle stick etc) but I was just a kid then and broke. I paid about 70 bucks for it (if I remember correctly) and mine is exactly the same but is touch tone and the cord is a solid color.  I would have remembered if it had the matching cord or if it was an option as I would have gotten that so this seems weird.  Maybe all the stores had different inventories?

Joel