News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual perhaps

Started by captroosh, March 16, 2020, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

Came across a pair of E1 handsets. Odd thing is they are wired together and don't have the standard marking as can be seen in the photos. Are these possible test handsets for when the 202 was coming out?
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Jim Stettler

I think those are sound powered. A battery free 2 station intercom w/o signalling . I think the Navy used some sound powered equitment.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

captroosh

Thanks. Always Amazes me the knowledge on this board.
Capt. Roosh.

HarrySmith

In the upper corner is a small stamp with US and an anchor in the middle. That along with the brass rings would seem to indicate US Navy for sure.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HowardPgh

TV repairmen used to use them when they installed rooftop antennas. Usually to tell the assistant where to aim the antenna for best reception.
Howard

Number, please!

I'm pretty sure they are sound powered.  As a teenager, I was given a similar pair in the mid 1960's.  My next door neighbor owned and operated a TV repair shop.  He explained to me that the transmitter (mic) had carbon granules that vibrated with the sound and generated enough signal to be heard in both receivers.  I took them to college with me, but alas they "disappeared," sort of like my memory today.  My mother claimed no knowledge of what, when, where or how.
Stu

captroosh

Mom's often have no idea.
Capt. Roosh.