News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Australian PMG 300 ATP

Started by wds, November 12, 2013, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Grabbed this Australian PMG off ebay for $24 including shipping.  It's in perfect shape and fully working.  Seems to be dated 1955.  I didn't even notice the carry handle until it arrived.  For some reason I didn't see the carry handle in the listing - even though  it was in plain site in the pictures.  Nice phone.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

You have done it again!  The great phones at bargain prices never end.  I think that all of the Australian 300 series phones have carry handles.  Mine (forum link) has one which hinges near the top.  It is a 300AT and was made in 1947, though the handset is newer.  I am thinking that your 300 ATP might be a slightly later version.

Larry

wds

Thanks.  I have noticed lately that the links to "Bobsoldphones" don't work anymore.  There was a lot of good information on that site - is it down for good?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2013, 08:52:25 PM
Thanks.  I have noticed lately that the links to "Bobsoldphones" don't work anymore.  There was a lot of good information on that site - is it down for good?

I noticed that it wasn't there the other day.  The creator of that site passed away a year or two ago, and someone was trying to maintain it.  There was some information about these on the britishtelephones.com site.

For what it's worth, I just opened my PMG 300AT and took a couple of pictures of the insides.  The side of the condenser is rubber-stamped "6 JAN 1948".

Larry

OldAussieGuy

Hi all
The 300 series was initially manufactured in UK and later in Australia so there are a number of variations in Aus. Also the PMG (Post Master Generals Dept - the govt dept that ran postal and telecommunication services here here until 1975), and its successors, refurbished/recycled telephones until well into the 1980s. So there may also be a mixture of parts in a phone that was genuinely in service.

The carry handle type pops up a lot and also a version with a pull out number tray sometimes appear. Models included dial, CB, magneto table and wall types. The 300 first appeared in about 1939 and was superseded by the 400 series in Aus. in 1958 although they both persisted well into modern times. I saw one still in service only a few months ago. The 400 shared the same case as the 300 but with some upgraded electricals and a more modern looking handset.

FYI. Bobs old phones has been resurrected by the ATCS. Have a look at http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/index.htm

Cheers and merry Xmas

Contempra

Thanks for the link and welcome to this forum OldAussiGuy :D

twocvbloke

I can't help but notice on the wiring diagram "Strip and cover with Spaghetti", what on earth were those aussie telephone engineers doing in their spare time?!?! :D

mienaichizu

mine doesnt have a carry handle but has a drawer in front

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 11, 2013, 02:45:19 AM
I can't help but notice on the wiring diagram "Strip and cover with Spaghetti", what on earth were those aussie telephone engineers doing in their spare time?!?! :D

Yeah! No parmezan? What were they thinking?

Does anybody know the meaning of this phrase?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

poplar1

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on December 11, 2013, 06:33:12 AM
Quote from: twocvbloke on December 11, 2013, 02:45:19 AM

Yeah! No parmezan? What were they thinking?

"Spaghetti is not wire. It is simply a hollow insulating material that is slipped over bare wires to insulate the wires.
Curt"

"Since spaghetti isn't hollow, the question is why they didn't call the insulation macaroni.
[Alan]"

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89305&view=next
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones link=topic=10496.msg114246#msg114246

The instruction is to bridge three terminals with one piece of PVC insulated wire.
1. Strip the insulation from one end for the first terminal,
2. strip the insulation from half the wire at the other end.
3. Bridge the first two terminals leaving a long bare wire tail.
4. Cut some spaghetti (fine plastic tubing) and place it over the bare tail for insulation
5. Connect the protruding end of the wire to the last terminal.

OK, a picture would have been better...

One wire is less likely to fall out at the junction.

Jack

Matilo Telephones

Thanks! Some would call that a sleeve, wouldn't they?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on December 11, 2013, 07:11:10 AM
Thanks! Some would call that a sleeve, wouldn't they?
They couldn't use there sleeves or they would have nothing to roll up when they start work.

Jack