News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Starlite Dial Illumination help

Started by Volvoguy, March 06, 2014, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

If you look at the pictures in this thread you may get an idea,  http://tinyurl.com/ndgmx99
I had to tun off al lights in the room to get a good picture.

On the other hand, my wife got near the bed, and I had to figure out how to just turn off the light when the handset was on hook.  (I just short it.) and I can not feel any temperature difference in the wall plug.

dsk

Volvoguy

That link comes up as a luminous panel for a korg keyboard? I think mine is right though, not super bright, just enough to see in the dark.

stub

Volvoguy,
                Dim also, but as you said "just enough to see in the dark." I used it with the limiting resistors plug.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Volvoguy

Weird, works now. Seems to be about the same brightness as mine. Now to just track down an original plug setup and the 5 conductor cable.

dsk

It could be good enough to solder in a 47k 1/2 watt resistor on each wire, and cover with shrink hose. The 1 amp fuse in the diagram will at least stand until 47 thousand volts over the resistor! :o   that's slightly more than normal  ;D

dsk

AE_Collector

Quote from: Volvoguy on March 08, 2014, 10:14:00 AM
Weird, works now. Seems to be about the same brightness as mine. Now to just track down an original plug setup and the 5 conductor cable.

I am almost certain that I have spare 5 conductor white cords for Starlite. They are much heavier than normal phone cords since they needed 22 gauge power conductors. They made all 5 conductors the same gauge. And I must have a couple more plugs around somewhere as well. I am in Coquitlam.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: dsk on March 08, 2014, 10:55:46 AM
The 1 amp fuse in the diagram will at least stand until 47 thousand volts over the resistor! :o   that's slightly more than normal ;)
dsk
Quote from: AE_Collector on March 08, 2014, 12:28:40 PM
I am almost certain that I have spare 5 conductor white cords for Starlite. They are much heavier than normal phone cords since they needed 22 gauge power conductors. They made all 5 conductors the same gauge.
Terry
Despite having a couple cracked ribs(OW!), I heartily appreciate the laugh, Dag! You are exponentially more electronically educated, enlightened, experienced, and savvy than I will ever be, and I my hat is eternally doffed to you, Sir!

But, you typed a 'Funny'! :)

You Starlite fellows have to number among the bravest Gentleman I've ever encountered! As a career electrician, I most certainly wouldn't want 47,000 Volts coming into my house, much less to my nightstand, or headboard. Especially on 22 gauge wires. Nor to my telephone. :D

Perhaps, I'm just becoming less temerious as  I grow old?
Quote from: dsk on March 08, 2014, 10:55:46 AM:o   that's slightly more than normal ;)
Indeed, my good Sir, it would seem to be... ;D

With my very best regards to you and yours!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 08, 2014, 02:23:24 PMAs a career electrician, I most certainly wouldn't want 47,000 Volts coming into my house, much less to my nightstand, or headboard.

Well, if lightning strikes in the wrong place, 47Kv would be nothing in comparison... :o

Mr. Bones

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 08, 2014, 02:27:20 PM
Well, if lightning strikes in the wrong place, 47Kv would be nothing in comparison... :o
True, there is no comparison, twocv! Greater than the difference between sticking a 9v battery on your tongue, and the 47kV, at least. :o

Cheers, I do so hope it's stopped raining a bit there!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 08, 2014, 02:23:24 PM
     You Starlite fellows have to number among the bravest Gentleman I've ever encountered! As a career electrician, I most certainly wouldn't want 47,000 Volts coming into my house, much less to my nightstand, or headboard. Especially on 22 gauge wires. Nor to my telephone. :D

You're right Terrence, I think a bit more insulation is in order to prevent "Flash Over" from phone to night stand (probably when it rings!). How about we run the Starlite set cord through a scrap of old garden hose from wall to phone?

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 08, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
You're right Terrence, I think a bit more insulation is in order to prevent "Flash Over" from phone to night stand (probably when it rings!). How about we run the Starlite set cord through a scrap of old garden hose from wall to phone?

Terry
Smashing plan, Terry!

I hadn't even thought so far as to use the nearly impervious Green Garden Hose! >smack!!< I shall just have to rummage about in the motor garage a bit; I'm nearly certain I have a spare with a weepy end-fitting!

My bad, entirely. As the years roll by, my thoughts turn, less and less, to be turned to plasma! ;)
Lately, this has manifested its ugly head in my fitting a dedicated, external, multi-ground rod array to my recliner. ;)

Also, after 20+ years @ work, they just, last year provided Arc Flash gear.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arc%20flash&sm=12"

"Oh, nice!" (Onslow)

"What? Me worry?" (A.E. Newman)

"I love the smell of vapourized copper in the morning!!!" (Mr. Bones) ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

The ground rod array attached to the recliner is likely a good idea! Do you wear your Arc Flash gear while watching the Telly?

But vaporized copper isn't worth much at the scrap yard.....

On second thought, I think garden hose may only be rated for 5 thousand volts so 47KV might turn it into heat shrink. Still, a good way to change colors of your phone cords, especially if green cords were hard to come by.

Terry

dsk

Slightly of topic, but fuses didn't help me when the lightning did the job.
http://tinyurl.com/paf83xv
Not sure how to explain why the house didn't burn down, probably someone take of me, luck or whatever you call it.
More pics here: http://tinyurl.com/pufcaww

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 08, 2014, 02:33:04 PMTrue, there is no comparison, twocv! Greater than the difference between sticking a 9v battery on your tongue, and the 47kV, at least. :o

Cheers, I do so hope it's stopped raining a bit there!

Best regards!

I don't mind testing a 9v battery on my tongue, but I'd rather not test a 47Kv battery on my tongue... :P

As for the rain, for the most part it has, but the flooding hasn't bothered us up here in the north, and those of us living on hills, so we're nice and dry here...  ;D