News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stans 3 Slot Pay Phone Controller

Started by robert_m, December 03, 2018, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_m

It seems Stan not makeing any more of his gontorllers and refered me to post here, any one have one they want to sell?

RotarDad

You are correct that Stan stopped production maybe a year ago.  They do turn up on EBay periodically, and I know one was sold here many months ago as well.
Paul

robert_m

Anyone have one for Sale, I in dire need of one, mine died, and Already disposed of.  Stan not making em any more, and will not even sell me the circut so i can make it.  Ron will only modify phone, kinda odd collectors are not willing to help other collectors.

ATCA Member Number:    4798
Robert

HarrySmith

Maybe someone here who has one would be willing to send you the circuit so you can build it.

If someone here has the skills to build them I am sure there would be a market for them.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Why would you throw it out? Unless there was a catastrophic failure that wrecked the PCB, whatever part that failed would have been easy enough to track down. I am no electrical engineer, but I can isolate a problem. I am certain many of us here have much better skills than I. I wouldn't expect Stan to part with the design of his controller, I would suppose that falls under marketable trade secrets, considering nobody else has come up with one. They do come up every so often. I am always looking for an extra myself. It's definitely worth the price to have a working paystation.
Butch Harlow

Payphone installer

Understanding how to build a controller is very complex as one has to understand the central office and also the different line voltages that exist today on the various ATAs. And by the way Stans controller is still built today it is right on eBay. He now just has a more sophisticated model built right into the phone. I have purchased two of these because it the future they will be impossible to find. Remember each one of Stans is custom built. It is a work of art,and they work perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/An-Antique-Western-Electric-233G-3-Slot-Payphone/302990584870

?hash=item468ba56c26:g:xBQAAOSwqbVbOU71

poplar1

Is it possible that Stan would repair your non-working one?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

There is a kit on eBay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Western-Electric-Northern-Electric-payphone-Make-Your-3-Slot-Payphone-Work-Kit/201278944120

EDIT:  Added Seller Description: 

"Many have asked for a simple way to make their Northern Electric and Western electric 3 slot  payphones into working payphones.

We have put together a kit which includes a very easy to follow wiring diagram, along with all the parts you need so you can use your payphone like a regular home phone. Included is a 7ft modular line cord, a network, condenser, wire and spade connectors with wire and  a easy to follow wiring diagram. This is easy to do. This will make it so you can dial and receive calls.

New revised kit with mounting bracket for most common models   

Note*  Most of these Payphones never had ringers. In order to get your phone to ring you will need a seperate  ringer or you can install a ringer inside. This is not included with this kit. But we do sell ringers separately. This kit will not make your coin mechanism function. It was designed only so you can use your payphone as a house phone."

RotarDad

This kit probably includes a network and some wires to complete the phone circuit.  I highly doubt that this has anything to do with making the coin control functions operational.
Paul

Payphone installer

Good to know, I wasn't sure what it was.

Key2871

It just uses capacitors to double. Or triple the input voltage to operate the coin relay, then using a timer circuit to control collect or return. He made it nicer to select a couple options such as dial tone first, etc. And the early one had a switch to choose what you wanted it to do in test mode.

I've made a few for my self just using a power supply and timer circuit to control collect times. Usually 1.5 minutes, then when it goes on hook, it collected.
Stan used capacitors to boost the voltage to around 90vdc.
Enough to power even the double coil relays.
It wouldn't be too hard to make one up.
Finding out how to use caps to double voltage is on Google.
I saw a payphone circuit on YouTube, that a couple made up to look for coins using a single slot with a tone reader that read the totalizer tone generated from it. It's there but obscure. If I can locate the video, I'll post a link. They explain the parts used, but don't give schematic information. Again, looking up the circuits online is your best bet.
KEN

TelePlay

While looking for another file on my computer I came across this.
I don't remember where I got it from, but it may be of some help or not.

It is a PDF file.