"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

voice recognition for non-dial phones

Started by RCMcDonald, June 05, 2012, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMcDonald

Hi all -

I have several old phones connected to my asterisk pbx running on a 10-year old laptop, and it works great  I have been trying to figure out how to integrate candlestick and other phones without a dial, and I started searching around for a voice-recognition solution.  I found a great resource here: http://zaf.github.com/asterisk-speech-recog/

This is code that takes advantage of speech recognition software running on Google's servers in the cloud.  After some experimentation and tweaking of the scripts on that page, I was able to get it up and running on my system.  Now, when you pick up the receiver of my 100 year-old candlestick phone, you'll hear "operator - what number would you like to call?" and it dials through to any of the other phones on the system.

The voice recognition isn't perfect.  Some voices seem to work better than others.  It works flawlessly for me, but trips up sometimes when my kids try it.  Nevertheless, it's a fun way to use those old phones. 

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to share the script I developed and walk them through configuration.

Bob McDonald

Phonesrfun

That would be cool.  Mabe have a voice that sounds like Jane Barbe saying "Number Plee-ase", like the old time operators.

-Bill G