News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECo 201A Wiring Advice

Started by rp2813, October 14, 2015, 12:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Here is a diagram of the proper 634A for a C1A handset mounting, with my suggested mappings of terminals in RED.  The blue screw terminals are on the induction coil.

You don't even need the YY terminal, clearly.

With some luck  (really?) this should correspond to the list  Poplar1 posted somewhere earlier.

So, bottom line: it appears that your subset was once a 534-A or 634-A, and was converted to a 634-BC, and you're completing the cycle back for final justice.  Of course you can choose your own mapping, and reuse the old K as new K.

rp2813

Check this out.   

I decided to investigate the original model number for this subset since it was suggested that it could have been a 534-A or 634-A before becoming a 634-BC.  I examined the cover and found a relatively inconspicuous swipe of black near the current model number, so I took an old pencil eraser to it.

What are the odds?  I thought 554-C subsets were somewhat unusual, and it turns out the two subsets I own are 554-C's, one converted, and one still original.   Might that explain the gongs that are reversed like the ones on my true 554-C?

This 634-BC is dated I-32 throughout, except of course for the 101A component.

So now my question is, since this box worked fine as is with my D1, is there any reason to reconfigure it for the 201A?
Ralph

poplar1

Your 634BC is already being used as if it's a 634A. Only difference is that a  terminal is labeled "RR" rather than "K",  but that doesn't matter, since it is just a convenient place to connect two wires together. Just pretend it's a 634A.

As for the inverted gongs, these were introduced as standard sometime around 1929 when the 8A ringer was superceded by the 68A. They are found on many 534As and 634As.

My guess is that the 534A was already "manufacture discontinued" soon after the introduction of the 584A (Bakelite cover) in 1930. So most 634As were conversions of 534s. If the 684BC was not yet available, then it's possible that some new 634BCs or even 554Cs were manufactured after 1930.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: rp2813 on October 15, 2015, 01:49:53 PM
Check this out.   

I decided to investigate the original model number for this subset since it was suggested that it could have been a 534-A or 634-A before becoming a 634-BC.  I examined the cover and found a relatively inconspicuous swipe of black near the current model number, so I took an old pencil eraser to it.

What are the odds?  I thought 554-C subsets were somewhat unusual, and it turns out the two subsets I own are 554-C's, one converted, and one still original.   Might that explain the gongs that are reversed like the ones on my true 554-C?

This 634-BC is dated I-32 throughout, except of course for the 101A component.

So now my question is, since this box worked fine as is with my D1, is there any reason to reconfigure it for the 201A?

Indeed, you had already used it as a 634A.

In any case I'd want to check the wiring and not rely on it being correct before, but since you configured it previously, you may have more confidence.

The 554C subset does not have a K terminal either.  The subset must have been an "–A" type at some point, and perhaps had multiple conversions, or that the terminal block was replaced at the time of conversion.

Perhaps there is another ink stamp to be found under the paint elsewhere.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: rp2813 on October 15, 2015, 01:49:53 PMSo now my question is, since this box worked fine as is with my D1, is there any reason to reconfigure it for the 201A?

I thought that this was your reason:

Quote from: rp2813 on October 12, 2015, 12:16:42 AMI'm facing a need in the near future to use my 634BC subset with a 201A (with F1 handset) I've purchased for my workshop, providing I can make the D1 set function properly with the 554C, which is in beautiful shape worthy of open display (something that can't be said for my 634).
Cliff

rp2813

Cliff, that's correct.  By figuring out the 554-C, I was able to combine it with my D1 and take the 634BC that I had been using with the D1 and move it to my garage workshop.    The 554-C is dated 1931, as is the D1, and the 554-C also has its original induction coil, so I wanted that nice box to remain indoors.

I had to go buy some 24/4 station wire (I didn't have any sections in my stash that were long enough) so probably won't get everything hooked up until tomorrow.
Ralph

rp2813

OK, I've tried both wiring schemes offered above (I think I've only counted two -- I can't decipher the schematic -- sorry, again) and it appears the only difference in them is where the yellow mounting lead from the C1 terminates on the subset.  One has it on L2-Y and the other on YY. 

Per the instructions, on the switch I have the black handset cord conductor and the yellow mounting lead on BK-Y.

With the L2-Y termination for the yellow lead, there is a constant off-hook condition even with handset hung up.

With the YY arrangement, there's no dialtone but there is a hollow hum.

This seems like an issue with the switch connections, but I know just enough to be dangerous.

Ralph

rp2813

I opened up my D1 to see if I could learn anything.  Of course, it has separate terminals for some of the leads that are combined on the C1's switch terminals.

I'm wondering if I need a jumper somewhere, since those on the D1 are dealing with Y and BK terminals.

I'm going to study the examples provided in other threads that have been linked here and see if I can figure this out.  I'm thinking that the original scheme, with the yellow lead from the C1 terminated on the subset's L2Y at least did provide dialtone, so maybe the trouble is with the switch terminations.
Ralph

NorthernElectric

Can you post photos of your connections in both the phone and subset?

Have you observed the hookswitch contacts to make sure they are both opening when the handset is placed on hook?
Cliff

poplar1

Quote from: rp2813 on October 16, 2015, 04:08:00 PM
OK, I've tried both wiring schemes offered above (I think I've only counted two -- I can't decipher the schematic -- sorry, again) and it appears the only difference in them is where the yellow mounting lead from the C1 terminates on the subset.  One has it on L2-Y and the other on YY.   to it.

Yellow wire from the phone goes to L2-Y, along with the green wire from the wall jack. YY should not have anything connected
Quote from: rp2813 on October 16, 2015, 04:08:00 PM
Per the instructions, on the switch I have the black handset cord conductor and the yellow mounting lead on BK-Y.

With the L2-Y termination for the yellow lead, there is a constant off-hook condition even with handset hung up.

With the YY arrangement, there's no dialtone but there is a hollow hum.

This seems like an issue with the switch connections, but I know just enough to be dangerous.

The black handset wire goes to the hookswitch terminal marked with both BK and Y, which I dubbed Y-BK* in the table..
However, the yellow mounting cord wire (going from the phone to the subset) goes on Y of the hookswitch---not "BK-Y" [Y-BK]. Otherwise, you won't be able to disconnect the phone when hanging up, because you have bypassed the hookswitch .

* Brass Hookswitch terminal is actually stamped   Y   , but is written as "Y-BK" in BSP
                                                                           BK

C32.163, Issue 1,8-2-37.

Likwise, the terminal stamped              W      in the phone is written as "W-BB" in the BSP.
                                                          BB

The reason that each terminal has two designations is that when no dial is used,  the white (W) handset wire connects directly to the hookswitch "W-BB" terminal, but when a dial is used. then there is a jumper from the hookswitch to BB on the dial.

And, with no dial, the black (BK) handset connects directly to Y-BK,  but on the dial set, there is a jumper wire from Y-BK to Y on the dial.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rp2813

Poplar, thanks for your excellent explanations.  That's helping me understand what I'm looking at, for future reference.

As it turns out, I did go back to check out Cliff's first link to the 102 & 202 diagrams.  I matched my handset cord and mounting leads to Darrin's diagram of a 202 manual set and retained the subset configuration I've been using per Darrin's 634 + 101A diagram.

The phone works properly.  Thanks to everyone who provided assistance.  I really like the way this phone looks in its new deployment.  I'll post a picture of it here soon.
Ralph

rp2813

Here's a shot of the phone above the workbench.   I won't clean it up meticulously.  I think the "patina" is appropriate.

Now that I've had my hands on a C1, I've learned a couple of things:

The mounting options are only for the handset on the left or the right.  Ideally, I'd like the handset on the front, but I do like the current profile look.  I'll be switching the bracket around so it's hidden. 

Additionally, I can see how an F1 handset could get marred from being hung up over time as compared to an E1.  I'm using a beater F1 so that's OK, and I'm pretty sure the coiled cord is not WECo, as there's no date to be found.  That's fine with me, too. 

Ralph