News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green WE 302

Started by benkeys, December 07, 2014, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I have my eye on this 302 at a good starting price, but i'm not certain if it's real or if it was painted at one time. The way the images are you can't see any dates or see what dial or ringer it has in it. I asked the seller for a few things, hopefully he answers shortly. I read online that the colored ones used the 6-J dial i believe and color models were mostly produced starting in 1949. My main concern is fading on the handset which makes it look like it was black at one time. My other concern is if it has been painted, is it still worth getting if it can get it under 50.00? Here is the link:

http://goo.gl/0kaMWj

----------------------

EDIT:  did not sell, was relisted and relisted auction was cancelled early by the seller claiming an error in the listing

Relist:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-GREEN-TELEPHONE-MODEL-302-ROTARY-DIAL-/261692263565
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

This is an aftermarket refurb job, probably by a company such as Metropolitan Teletronics (NYC) or Telephone Engineering Co. (Simpson, PA).
The induction coil is dated III 46, and the dial is apparently a 5H (originally with black finger wheel).

Here is another one, also not painted by WE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181601582681

Authentic green WE phones never had green finger wheels -- the finger wheels were either unpainted stainless steel or clear plastic. They also had fabric covered cords.

Western Electric green 302s were painted until 1941, but these had metal housings and stainless steel finger wheels (5J dials). The handsets on these sets were painted, but there was no groove in the brown Bakelite handles and caps.

1941-1942 and 1949-1952 green sets had thermoplastic (solid green, not painted) housings and handsets, and 5J dials with clear finger wheels. 1953-1954 green thermoplastic 302s had 6D dials with clear finger wheels.

No new color sets were made between mid-1942 and late 1948. However, 5J dial production resumed c. 1947. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

I had a feeling it wasn't original. With that said, what is the value of something like that in it's current condition? I want a 302, but not sure I want something that needs repair for my first one. However I will keep value in mind for future reference as I'm always looking at 302's that are reasonably priced.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

JimH

Quote from: benkeys on December 07, 2014, 10:23:22 AM
I had a feeling it wasn't original. With that said, what is the value of something like that in it's current condition? I want a 302, but not sure I want something that needs repair for my first one. However I will keep value in mind for future reference as I'm always looking at 302's that are reasonably priced.
A painted plastic 302 with a cracked case isn't even worth $40, we'll see, but no one has bid on it yet.  I saw this earlier....it's ultimately only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.  If it had a pristine paint job on a metal base, and a 5J dial, it would be worth a whole lot more.  Just my opinion, though...

Jim
Jim H.

poplar1

Since the housing is cracked, I would guess maybe $25 for the other parts -- mainly the 5HA dial and the B1AL ringer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

I'll keep that in mind if he re-lists it at a lower price. As of right now it still has no bids or watchers, so I foresee it being re-listed, hopefully for less. I can probably repair the cracks and re-paint it with correct color by having it color matched, but not worth it at 40.00 for me. I can wait for another 302. I know they are still common. With that said, what is a reasonable price for a plastic 302 in decent condition? As I see them all over the place.

Lewes2

My mongrel green 302 sold yesterday. Mixed year components but an outstanding, if unconventional color paint job.  Artist friend picked the color for his phone so I had another 302 and a D1 painted at the same time. My wife absolutely loves the D1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-302-Telephone-/221622054474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3399b42e4a

Chuck

benkeys

I actually looked at that phone once or twice while it was active. That was a very well done phone, just way too much money for me.

princessphone

Hey Chuck,
In Re: to ringing multiple phones. I installed a Viking RG-10A, and extremely pleased with it. Have 12 ringing Princesses in the house and all sound great. Please check my "ringer booster" post. Sorry for not posting this under the proper subject.
Welcome to the club. John DeJonge

Sargeguy

I would not pay more than $30 for a black thermoplastic 302.  For one with a crack in the housing it would be less than $15.  Do a "nearest" search and see if you can pick up one locally and avoid shipping costs. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benkeys

People near me rarely have phones or radios. In the rare occasion they do, they are priced way too high. A quick eBay search shows just one 302 about an hour or so north of me. He wants 47.00 starting bid for it plus 13.00 shipping, and the phone is just in OK condition. Most of what I see are the post war plastic ones, and they can get expensive. I've seen them go up to a couple hundred dollars, and pre war ones go up as high as 5-600.00.