"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C/S 151AL with 2 extra wires

Started by marty, March 05, 2011, 06:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

HI All;
My next phone to get working, is my Candlestick 151AL it will eventually attach to my 584 Subset, the Subset works, so that is not the problem.. My Candlestick has 2 extra wires coming down the shaft wrapped arround the brown cord that was origionally there... I don't know How to open the shaft , nor am I so sure I want to depending on How difficult it is...  I have the Diagram from TCI on the 51AL showing cord layout, But I am still getting confused, too many wires to look at...  AS well as the rest of the 51 and 151 TCI diagrams....  I guess for now I could ignore them, and see if I can wire it up without them... Also I am trying to convert it to dial using a 5H dial, I know 2A's were origional.. The other possibility is to take all of the wires and unhook them and the ones I know by ohmming (as to where they Go) then all I have to figure out is what is in the shaft... Help my head is spinning.... Here are some Pictures... If you haven't guessed, I need two working phones for my Switcher, to check it out..
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Marty:

Once you have taken the bottom felt cover off, the hooskwitch and the support for the transmitter will just slide right out.  The only thing that holds that part in is the center base screw.  You will notice that the wiring harness looks a little long when the parts in the shaft are seated.

The harness looks good to me,  It did have those two outside wires originally.  That was no modification.  They did that to make them easier to work on with those pads connected to either side of the other two base plate mounting holes.  Download a copy of the 151AL from the TCI website for further reference.
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Bill, WHAT felt cover ??? when I look at both the phone and the picture on this site I don't see any felt.. I have downloaded and printed the 51 base cord arrangement, the 51 desk stand rack which shows its cord, I figure the 151 is similiar enough in this area to use the 51 diagrams and I have down loaded and printed the 151AL Basic Dial Circuit... and the cord colors coming down the shaft are NOT the same as shown in either Diagram or schematic..
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

I belive he is talking about the Felt or leather covered base plate. To cover the inside parts.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

marty

Hi All;
But, I still can't Figure out HOW to pull the stuff out of the Shaft ??? When I pull on the wires (alittle) Or the metal piece in the middle of the Shaft, nothing moves... Here are some more pictures, the wire next to the grn wire on the terminal is so far an extra wire, according to the schematic.. I have not wired to the Subset yet.. too many wires...
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Marty:

Don't pull from the bottom, pull from the top.

Grab the shaft with one hand, and the tranmitter gooseneck with the other and pull.
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Bill, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I wouldn't have guessed, it looked like it was all one Part ... Now I can figure out the wires... THANK YOU Marty

marty

Hi All;
One last question, before hooking it to the Subset and testing it.. Photos included
Do I hook up the "R" on the Dial to the Red wires, as the origional dial Didn't have an "R" terminal..
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

I just deleted my last post, in favor of this one which I hope will help more.

Desk stand cord to the subset at the deskstand end inside the base of the phone:

Red to the R terminal pad (Not R on the dial)(The R terminal on the dial is only for a handset phone)
Green to GN on the terminal pad
Yellow to the B-Y terminal pad
Black to BK on the dial (If you have a 4-conductor cord, otherwise omit this)

From the harness coming out of the shaft of the phone:

Inside the fabric harness:

Red to the R terminal pad with the red line cord wire
Double Blue to the BB terminal on the dial
Black to BK on the dial

The two outside wrapped wires on the harness:

Blue to terminal B-Y where the yellow line cord connects
Yellow to the Y terminal on the dial

The two wires from the receiver:

White to W on the dial
Green to GN on the terminal pad with the green line cord wire.

Attached to the bottom of this post is a pdf file that you can click on which is a simplified 151AL schematic.  Note that the pdf attachment will not display in this post, but is a clickable attachment.

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Bill, Yes that is the same drawing that I had downloaded and printed. That was the Diagram I had used to set up my CandleStick after I got it apart..  But it is good for others to have. I hope that this has helped others as well, who are unfamiliar with CandleSticks...
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Unfortunately, that diagram contains one important omission.  That is the yellow line cord wire on the diagram appears to  connect directly to the "Y" terminal on the hookswitch.  With the harness that has those "extra" two wires, it is not connected that way.

The yellow line cord wire connects to the B-Y terminal on that littel terminal pad.  The blue "extra" harness wire, in turn, extends up to the "Y" terminal on the hookswitch.

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
I GOT the phone to work, Bill suggested that I trade the wires on the BB(Dial) connection and the B-Y connection.. And by doing that It now works... I am enclosing some pictures, so you can compare the old pictures with these new ones...
THANK YOU Marty

djtownsend

Marty,

I'm trying to do the same thing.  Can you please show how your swithhook is wired?

Thanks.

Dan