"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Storing & Organizing Lots of Phones

Started by HobieSport, December 28, 2009, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

Terry,

I was referring to the picture of your boxed phones , on one of your boxes the description is AE 50's as in plural (3rd row from the left, on the bottom). I just thought WOW, a box full of AE 50's (my favorite wall phone).

Ed

AE_Collector

Oh I get it now. Actually they are BrinyBay's boxes of phones. I can't help myself either, I read "box of AE 50's" and I have to know where, who, when, why....

AE 50's are one of my fav wall phones too. Another is the AE 183 Space Saver. AE got it right in many instances.

Terry

bingster

= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on April 12, 2012, 04:08:42 AM
I remember when Briny had a grand total of TWO old phones.  Now look at him!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=669.msg7787#msg7787

Funny, I was looking at that thread just yesterday!  I'm up to around 65 phones now.  Here's that 500 now:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

It is at least 2 ways of thinking:

Should you have the perfect phone, just like it came from the maker. Put it up to display, and please don't touch!

Or

Should you just clean and repair to a nice condition, having a phone "telling" a story about use, and misuse during a loooong life, and still survived.

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on September 29, 2012, 04:20:08 AM
It is at least 2 ways of thinking:

Should you have the perfect phone, just like it came from the maker. Put it up to display, and please don't touch!

Or

Should you just clean and repair to a nice condition, having a phone "telling" a story about use, and misuse during a loooong life, and still survived.

dsk

I'm in the second category.  I'll clean them up as well as I can, and prefer them to be functioning if at all possible.  The most I ever did to a phone to bring it back to life was that 5302 I got for $5 at a yard sale a couple years ago. (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0)

There are a few that I have that are display only due to their fragility or some other reason, e.g. my avatar for one.  The brown 500 will eventually be in a display only mode, simply because of it's rarity, but for now it's ok to use.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

My thoughts are, because of the difficulty in establishing ALL ORIGINAL, I fix my phones up with, matching year components, and make them as close to new, as I possibly can. I keep a log of sorts to document components that need to be up[dated because a transmitter may be the wrong date, then if I obtain the proper parts I change it. I keep all of my project phones, in Priority mail boxes, number them, and keep that box number and it's contents detailed in the log. So at any time if I'm looking for a particular item, I can pretty much find it. I will log all of the particulars for that phone. Below is an example of my systems log sheet. I made them up myself.
Example, Say I need to find a C2A Ringer for a 5-52 500, I go to my log book, Photo 1. Then go to my storage area, and get box #28, Photo 2. It took some time, but boy it sure saves more time.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE40FAN

Briny I am with you on having multiple projects going on at once!  Still trying to finish up my green 500 with a turquoise and red 500 next to it in pieces. In addition, I have a couple RCA 75X series radios (one of which is featured in Dial M for Murder). Also, I have 2 princess phones in pieces. And lastly, I have a Telechron Cathedral clock in pieces...
By the way your mahogany 500 looks great!

Greg G.

Quote from: AE40FAN on September 29, 2012, 02:27:42 PM
By the way your mahogany 500 looks great!

All I did was use Doug's favorite polish, Avon SSS.  It works great on plastic too.  I was just going to wipe off the thick coating of dust with a dry rag, but the Avon was sitting right there, so I just put a dab on a micro-fiber cloth and wiped it down.  I have to say I like the result.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I have a similar system to Dan/Panther's, only my priority mail boxes are scattered all over the place (or in transit) and I do not keep a log. ::)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

I think there is a common thread here.....
Andy F    K1WI

DavePEI

Quote from: K1WI on September 30, 2012, 01:36:10 PM
I think there is a common thread here.....

What's that - no wonder USPS is going bankrupt?  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE_Collector

Well hopefully most are recycled USPS boxes rather than new boxes. I've even had the USPS lady complain at me for reusing priority boxes to ship items but it doesn't deter me from reusing and recycling.

Terry

K1WI

Terry ,
   Thanks for pointing that out , mine are all recycled boxes. I too was informed that USPS issued boxes should not be reused as there is a chance previous labels , tape ,etc could cause a problem.
    Andy F          K1WI
Andy F    K1WI