News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best way to pack phones for shipping.

Started by contraste, March 01, 2009, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Shown below is the general message format I use when I win an eBay phone auction.  This particular message relates to a Card Dialer I recently won, but it is easily customized for the particular auction item you are dealing with.  I send the message to the seller through the eBay message system (limit is 1000 characters), and I always wait for a reply before paying.  Sometimes it makes a difference and, as we are all so painfully aware, sometimes it doesn't.  I have not yet received this Card Dialer, so I don't know if the message has had its desired effect.  Feel free to critique the message or modify it for your own use.

Hi (insert seller's name here). Before I pay you, I want to say something important about packing: Card Dialers are among the most delicate of all vintage phones. The plastic housing and the large faceplate are really very fragile, and they can easily be broken if not packed well. Trust me -- This has happened more than once in the past. PLEASE use MULTIPLE LAYERS of large-size bubble wrap (NOT crumbled or shredded paper), and wrap the handset and the metal cord connector separately so they can't rattle around and bang into the phone. Also, please use a box that is large enough to absorb the abuse it will get from the P.O. without hurting the contents, and fill any void spaces with additional packing material to keep things from rattling around. I will wait to hear back from you before paying to be sure you have received this important message. This is a great phone and I will be happy to add it to my collection.  Please let me know if you have questions. Thank you for the auction. Dave F.

HarrySmith

Thanks Dave & Doug. That is exactly what I am looking for. Anyone else have a message they send? Mine goes something like this:

I just purchased this phone from you. I am very happy I won and very excited to get it. Please, Please be sure this is well packed to protect it. It has survived for 50 or more years it would be a shame for it to be destroyed now by the Postal Service! Please wrap each piece, phone, handset & ringer box seperately with plenty of bubble wrap and make sure there is no space for them to move around in the box. Thank you very much for this consideration. Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

An internet search for "Telephone Packing Guidelines" turns up this page:

http://www.paul-f.com/SaveThePhones/

Many years ago, several of us who received too many broken phones tried putting together a simple statement on how to safely pack phones.

After receiving more broken phones, we added more and more material, and the statement evolved into a set of guidelines.

It became obvious that packer indifference was resistant to our efforts.

Here is some text I have used more recently:

Phones are surprisingly susceptible to damage in shipment.  Please make sure the base and handset are separately padded (no need to disconnect any wires), and that the padding covers all sides of each item and is firmly held in place.  Following any shipper's on-line guidelines, there should be several inches of firm padding between items and each box side.  Ignoring their guidelines voids any insurance coverage, so I have found their insurance useless.  Before closing the box, make sure it's padded tight enough so that nothing can move around when you shake it vigorously.

Thanks for your careful attention to packing to help preserve a piece of telephone history.  Even if you've shipped phones before, please view a packing checklist and photos of damage that can occur, at:
http://www.paul-f.com/SaveThePhones/

These are the guidelines I use when I ship phones, and have had no damage problems when they have been followed.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Well, I guess some people just don't pay attention. I just got a reply from the seller about packing:

Hi,
The phone is wrapped with the receiver on it and the ringer box is wrapped seperately all in a generous amount of bubble wrap and all are placed together inside a box surrounded with packaging peanuts for added cushion. I have several photo's of the packaging process and will be happy to email them to you however I will need an email address. I will be shipping tomorrow and will get back to you with the tracking #
Thank you for your purchase & enjoy your evening

UPDATE!!
Finally got the phone packed correctly. Very good seller, he followed my instructions perfectly. Here is the entire thread:

Hello again,
I re-wrapped so all 3 pieces are wrapped seperately and here are the final photo's. Given the packaging all should arrive safe & intact as long as the post office doesn't mishandle it.
Thank you again for your purchase and enjoy your evening.
mainlywoods

- mainlywoods Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: mainlywoods
Subject: Re: Shipping: d_and_h_cool_stuff sent a message about Antique Western Electric ? Or Graybar Desk Inter-Phone 12 Dial **LOOK** #290782062804
Sent Date: Oct-05-12 08:39:27 PDT

Dear mainlywoods,

OK, everything looks really good with the exception of the handset. The handset sitting on the cradle can almost guarantee the cradle ears broken off or the handset split in half. Please remove it from the cradle and wrap it seperately. I really appreciate all this effort and it will be reflected in my feedback for you.
Thanks Again, Harry

- d_and_h_cool_stuff 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: d_and_h_cool_stuff
Subject: Re: Shipping: d_and_h_cool_stuff sent a message about Antique Western Electric ? Or Graybar Desk Inter-Phone 12 Dial **LOOK** #290782062804
Sent Date: Oct-05-12 08:01:47 PDT

Dear d_and_h_cool_stuff,

Hi,
Just re-sent the photo's, let me know what you think. The entire piece is surrounded with packaging peanuts all around sides, top & bottom inside the box.
ter4den@hotmail.com
Thanks ,
mainlywoods

- mainlywoods 

Sent Date: Oct-05-12 07:11:05 PDT

Dear mainlywoods,

Hi,
I did not receive any email from you. I checked my spam folder also just in case and cannot find anything. If you want to try again my email is: harrysmith1957@gmail.com. If you have the handset, phone body and ringer box all seperately wrapped and no space in the box for them to bang around it should be good for shipping. Thank you for the extra effort to protect this old phone! I appreciate it!
Harry

- d_and_h_cool_stuff 

Sent Date: Oct-05-12 05:21:35 PDT

Dear d_and_h_cool_stuff,

Goodmorning,
Just checking to see if you received the photo's regarding the packaging of the phone. My email is *******@hotmail.com and I sent them late last night. If you are satisfied with the packaging it's ready to ship.
Thanks again and enjoy your day,
mainlywoods

- mainlywoods 

Sent Date: Oct-04-12 17:49:40 PDT

Dear mainlywoods,

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and thanks for trying to protect the phone. One thing, if at all possible, can you remove the handset and wrap it seperately? Take a look here: http://www.paul-f.com/SaveThePhones/ this is a good example of what can happen. My email is harrysmith1957@gmail.com
Thanks, Harry

- d_and_h_cool_stuff 

Sent Date: Oct-04-12 15:57:25 PDT

Dear d_and_h_cool_stuff,

Hi,
The phone is wrapped with the receiver on it and the ringer box is wrapped seperately all in a generous amount of bubble wrap and all are placed together inside a box surrounded with packaging peanuts for added cushion. I have several photo's of the packaging process and will be happy to email them to you however I will need an email address. I will be shipping tomorrow and will get back to you with the tracking #
Thank you for your purchase & enjoy your evening
mainlywoods

- mainlywoods 

Subject: Shipping: d_and_h_cool_stuff sent a message about Antique Western Electric ? Or Graybar Desk Inter-Phone 12 Dial **LOOK** #290782062804
Sent Date: Oct-03-12 17:39:25 PDT

Dear mainlywoods,

I just purchased this phone from you. I am very happy I won and very excited to get it. Please, Please be sure this is well packed to protect it. It has survived for 50 or more years it would be a shame for it to be destroyed now by the Postal Service! Please wrap each piece, phone, handset & ringer box seperately with plenty of bubble wrap and make sure there is no space for the to move around in the box. Thank you very much for this consideration. Harry

- d_and_h_cool_stuff 

Antique Western Electric ? Or Graybar Desk Inter-Phone 12 Dial **LOOK**
Item Id: 290782062804
End time: Oct-03-12 13:25:26 PDT
Seller:
mainlywoods (449)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since Jul-04-00 in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

If you go through the CRPF "Bad Packing Awards" compilation that I just merged together you will find many suggested phone packing instructions for ebaY sellers in there as well.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.0

Terry

Greg G.

My contribution to the successful packing thread.  An AE 50 and a "Fatboy" made it all the way to the UK intact, 9000 miles!  I'm real proud of that, if I do say so myself!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21345.msg217640#msg217640
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e