News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Piqua, Ohio is the birthplace of Buster Keaton.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

Did anyone notice the shade is sitting right on the light socket? So does the bulb go above the shade or does the shade sit precariously on top of the bulb? Maybe it would work OK if you used a flame shaped bulb? Very odd.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on January 26, 2016, 10:04:54 PM
Did anyone notice the shade is sitting right on the light socket? So does the bulb go above the shade or does the shade sit precariously on top of the bulb? Maybe it would work OK if you used a flame shaped bulb? Very odd.

Could it be the shade as shown is upside down so in correct use, the bulb would be inside the up turned white shade? Might be the seller's error when taking the picture. I did a quick mock up of the shade in the up position. This way the on-off switch on the socket would be accessible.

Buzby

"If ye want to kill a phone, ye need to stab it right through the transmitter"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kellogg-Candlestick-Telephone-FOR-Parts-OR-FIX-UP-1901-/371537276548

19and41

I like your picture titles!  :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

That "Kellogg " stick in the last auction is a Chicago/Montgomery W/ Sears stick with a Late SC capsule rec.The cup can be replaced or turned hole down to hide it

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on January 27, 2016, 08:14:12 PM
That "Kellogg " stick in the last auction is a Chicago/Montgomery W/ Sears stick with a Late SC capsule rec.The cup can be replaced or turned hole down to hide it

Was it worth $52 ($45 plus shipping) and if so, what parts are of value?

rdelius

I would think it was worth it but just barely.

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on January 26, 2016, 10:04:54 PM

Yes, the shade in that eBay listing was placed on the bulb socket upside down. But when placed on the socket correctly, it shows the harp attachment just below the socket meaning the opal milk glass shade shown was not the shade ever used or even intended to be used with that lamp. Interesting.

BTW, the phone was gutted, except for the dial. Even the network was taken out. Here is the before photo.

Fabius

Abuse is wide spread. Telephone aren't the only ones abused.

http://tinyurl.com/hvqyolt
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Something a bit different in that both old phone and old phonograph collectors can cry over this "lamp" thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steampunk-Lamp-Industrial-antique-telephone-victrola-lighting-Wall-Sconce-/331815733302

But maybe some are getting the message, through these posts or other ways, as noted in the last line of the seller's description.

"Steampunk / Retrotech Wall Sconce. By "Professor Wolff". Unique , one of a kind,  No others like it . Every Professor Wolff creation is different Made from rare antique parts from victorola phonograph, antique telephone ,and other parts Reproduction Edison bulbs. Reproduction antique twisted AC cord. Antique plug. Sockets will take regular or 3 way bulbs Incandescent only. Built in dimmer. Faucet type valve handle on side controls brightness. NO antiques were destroyed making this item. Parts were found as parts, or salvaged from non restorable pieces"

19and41

It astounds me that there are people who find these things appealing enough to cobble them together or even more amazing want to have them in their house.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

I think that "Professor Wolff" needs to invest in some basic tools such as a ruler to use when laying out his creations. No matter what sort of ill-conceived idea it is, I think having things centered and evenly spaced allways gives something a professional look as opposed to a DIY Look by someone who appears to not have a clue what they are doing.

The thing just looks rediculous. One arm facing up and one down. Says "Incandescent Bulbs Only" and "Built in Dimmer". Yet, aren't those the "new fangled" LED bulbs that look Old?

Now let's talk electrical code. NO phone lamps would likely be "approved" since not inspected and tested by UL/CSA but the two AE40 Lamps that I use have been rewired with 3 conductor grounded AC cords that ground the dial frame, baseplate and hookswich frame. Judging by the looks of this (insert name of whatever it is here), I doubt any of the metal is grounded and who even knows if it has a polarized plug and if so, is it wired correctly.

I think I would be afraid to sell something like this claiming to be the creator in the listing. One electrocution and the seller might be more than "Out of Business". Just my random thoughts...

-----------------

Here is My FrankenLamp. I bought it on eBay quite a few years ago for something in the $50-$75 range. I kind of like some of the lamps and I liked the fibreglass shade that came with this one.

I think it is all AE except for the dial, a 2 something or other dial I guess. Notched number plate though and an unmarked outside mounted finger stop. I guess the brass housing could be WECo as well? To me these brass bases for AE and WE look pretty similar to each other. It does have the brass bushing around the cord exit hole which might be more WECo than AECo and it has a base plate that seems more WECo than AECo to me with the snap ring inside to hold the felt in place rather than a rubber ring like AE's usually have.

It is interesting that someone put holes into both of the AE 38 handset transmitter and receiver rings, maybe so the tool for WECo E handsets could be used to help remove the rings?

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 04, 2016, 05:19:04 PM

I think it is all AE except for the dial, a 2 something or other dial I guess. Notched number plate though and an unmarked outside mounted finger stop. I guess the brass housing could be WECo as well? To me these brass bases for AE and WE look pretty similar to each other. It does have the brass bushing around the cord exit hole which might be more WECo than AECo and it has a base plate that seems more WECo than AECo to me with the snap ring inside to hold the felt in place rather than a rubber ring like AE's usually have.

WE dial bases have patent dates on the rim -- usually on the front, but sometimes on either side or on the back. Also, the angle of the dial on WE bases is smaller, making it perhaps more difficult to use, compared to the AE and NE bases.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Ahhh, yes now that you mention it, I think it does have patent dates around the bottom edge. I Should have thought of that, AE bases never had that. I will have to take another look at it. Makes sense as it seems to be a WECo base plate as well. So they used an AE cradle and handset for some reason. I always assumed it was all AE except for the dial which the person who put this together may have used because he just happened to have a WECo brass cased dial on hand.

Terry