News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I have some dusty telephones who needs identification

Started by dsk, September 07, 2009, 03:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

When I was a teenager I used these, just because I liked the design.

One look like a W.E. 302, but it is marked Standard on the back side,
The other is absolutely unknown, but the dial looks identical to the "302"

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/dsk/Telephone/dusty%20phones/?albumview=slideshow ( dead link 9-20-17 )

Note: The reverse dial on both.

What do I have?

dsk

HobieSport

I'll never be an expert, but so far, the only times I have seen pictures of reversed number dial telephones are from Oslo and maybe Austrailia and New Zealand, and I'm not even sure about that. I always wanted to try to dial one though.
-Matt

dsk

The telephones has been used in Oslo.

STK (Norwegian STC) later ITT may have used these, but it was not a commonly used model in the monopoly.   Both has a wiring with 1000 ohms ringer in series with a 1 microfarad cap.
The coil has 3 windings coupled in a kind compensation coupling, all DC current travels through  the transmitter. 

dsk

Phonesrfun

I have never seen a "Standard" before, but yes, it looks remarkably like a 302.  What does it look like inside?

The second phone looks remarkably like Greg's (Brinybay) NEC, however the inside of it looks much different in layout than his, but has the exact same cord stay straps that hold the cords to the base.  My vote on the second phone is that it is an NEC.

I do not remember which countries used the reverse dial, but many did.
-Bill G

dsk

All the inside photos was from the "302"  The other one happend to be dismantled by me when I was in the right (?) :( age. I can remember a wiring diagram with something I believe was french text.  

dsk

PS
I found the diagram from the telephone with the red button:

The "302" has a diagram who is almost identical.

bingster

The first looks like a Siemens phone to me.  They were copied around the world, like the one Brinybay has from Japan.  The second one looks like it's from the Belgian Bell System, which used similar components and equipment to the North American Bell Systems.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

The one marked "Standard" looks similar to a Dutch PTT, like one I have.  They are 302 look-alikes:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Yes! You may be right. And the other looks like the one in your profile.
What canyou tell about that one?

Thank you

dsk

mienaichizu

those are 2 cool phones, the first one looks like a Siemens

contraste

Quote from: HobieSport on September 07, 2009, 03:54:51 PM
I'll never be an expert, but so far, the only times I have seen pictures of reversed number dial telephones are from Oslo and maybe Austrailia and New Zealand, and I'm not even sure about that. I always wanted to try to dial one though.

Reversed dials:
New Zealand - Yes
Australia - No

McHeath

Are those two holes in the back to stick your fingers in to carry it?

HobieSport

I think the holes in the back of Briny's phone are indeed for fingers to carry it. Call it a "bowling ball" phone if you will... ;) The PTTs and Heemafs have no convenient way to carry them. Rather awkward.
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on September 09, 2009, 05:50:45 AM
Yes! You may be right. And the other looks like the one in your profile.
What canyou tell about that one?

Thank you

dsk

That's a Japanese phone, NEC (Nippon Electric Company) Type 3 Automatic, circa mid 30s-ish or maybe even 40s.  Try as I might, I could not find a manufacture date on it anywhere.  What's "automatic" about it I don't know, maybe it's because you don't have to crank the magneto?  There's a website that shows antique NEC's that I contacted once, but never got a response.  
http://www.naonao.jp/tel_eng/

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on September 09, 2009, 10:46:55 AM
I think the holes in the back of Briny's phone are indeed for fingers to carry it. Call it a "bowling ball" phone if you will... ;) The PTTs and Heemafs have no convenient way to carry them. Rather awkward.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I call it - the "bowling ball" phone!
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Me too Brinybay.

I am also slightly envious that you have a decent night job as a bus driver in the Seattle Bay area. Do you get a lot of young student passengers and a few old drunks?

-Matt