News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I make a single ringer ring from 2 different lines?

Started by markosjal, May 23, 2017, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic_ContempraPhones

Sorry, I don't do voip over the top with no tls / srtp, or qos across the internet.  On a lan in a home, ok, but only with voip sets.

You're contributing to the demise of the switched telephone network.

Voip isn't telephony -- it's computer networking.

Victor Laszlo

Quotevoip over the top with no tls / srtp, or qos

And ***I*** get chastised for using acronyms...sheesh...

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on July 03, 2017, 10:13:16 AM
And ***I*** get chastised for using acronyms...sheesh...
Ah but that's because the rules apply to some people but not others!

unbeldi

As long as you keep responding to the bully, he has feedstock to continue.
He can't exist in a vacuum, so just ignore and he'll exhaust himself.

His goal, perhaps subconscious, is to incite responses for argumentation, which will be followed by more of the same, without contextual sensivitity, and without any meaningful avenue for discussion.

Let the bully's tweets speak for himself; they do!

Dominic_ContempraPhones

SRTP = Secure Real Time Transport Protocol
TLS = Transport Layer Security
QoS = Quality of Service (diffServ, etc.)

Don't you guys know about this?

TelePlay

Quote from: Dominic_ContempraPhones on July 03, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
SRTP = Secure Real Time Transport Protocol
TLS = Transport Layer Security
QoS = Quality of Service (diffServ, etc.)

Don't you guys know about this?

No, I and I am sure many others didn't either so they have been added to the CRPF Proprietary Acronym List so anyone can now know what they mean, if they want to look them up.

Thank you for adding them to the list.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on July 03, 2017, 11:43:04 AM
No, I and I am sure many others didn't either so they have been added to the CRPF Proprietary Acronym List so anyone can now know what they mean, if they want to look them up.

Thank you for adding them to the list.
All of which are 1000% irrelevant to the original question, EVEN IF he were interested in an Asterisk based solution, which his original statements suggest is not the case.

Victor Laszlo

Mr. Bell, having never met you, but appreciative of your extensive knowledge in the phone business, I am letting you know that I have retired from participating in any thread started by or continued by our Northern Friend.  Feel free to join the syndicate.  You can reach me by PM.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on July 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM
Mr. Bell, having never met you, but appreciative of your extensive knowledge in the phone business, I am letting you know that I have retired from participating in any thread started by or continued by our Northern Friend.  Feel free to join the syndicate.  You can reach me by PM.
That's the most constructive choice IMO both for effective use of your own free time, peace of mind and harmony on CRPF.

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 03, 2017, 12:07:05 PM
All of which are 1000% irrelevant to the original question, EVEN IF he were interested in an Asterisk based solution, which his original statements suggest is not the case.

True, but they add to the list which is growing with contributions from unbeldi, Victor, KaiserFrazer67, ThePillenwerfer and several other members as I picked defined acronyms out of their list. 

I trust the definitions are correct and if not, they can be corrected if not.

Even if the reply was irrelevant to the topic, which seems to be the case, a contribution none the less was made to the list. And, if anyone else wants to take control of building and editing this list out of my hands, would you please step forward and I would quickly, gladly and happily relinquish my role in moderating that list, a non-denomination attempt at providing information to not so expert members needing or wanting to know what some alphabet word meant.

Lot of members don't know the acronyms so this list, building the list, has great value to the overall forum, especially newer members who just want to work on their small collection of phones, regardless of which or what contentious topic or tangent from which they came.

I will say thanks to anyone who provides additions to that list.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on July 03, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
True, but they add to the list which is growing with contributions from unbeldi, Victor, KaiserFrazer67, ThePillenwerfer and several other members as I picked defined acronyms out of their list. 

I certainly can't argue with the value of adding reference info of any kind in a static discoverable place.  But long sequences of replies which are not related to the original question tend to permanently divert the direction of the thread and may discourage relevant replies as people coming to the thread by looking it up by topic name may not have the forbearance to read back through pages and pages of prior replies to find the point where the thread derailed. 

So perhaps it's better for the long term value of CRPF if irrelevant replies are moved to a thread of their own in addition to mining these replies for acronyms or other content which can be mined for addition to reference pages.

Dominic_ContempraPhones

Teleplay,

You're welcome.

TLS - Transport Layer Security -- means call setup/teardown/signaling over the internet is encrypted
SRTP - Secure Real-time Transport Protocol -- means the actual voice transmission is encrypted
QoS - Quality of Service, is a generic term that involves different techniques for tagging VoIP packets so that they're prioritized ahead of packets carrying other types of data.

Anyone using Asterisk and SIP (*instead of* IAX2) should be aware that the default protocols are wide open and easy to tap into with Wireshark (a packet sniffer).

IAX is Asterisk's own proprietary protocol -- Inter Asterisk eXchange, which isn't widely supported by other vendor IP softswitches.
SIP is Session Initiation Protocol which is pretty much the standard these days.

Corrected typo on IAX2

TelePlay

First, thank you gratefully accepted.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 03, 2017, 12:54:59 PM
I certainly can't argue with the value of adding reference info of any kind in a static discoverable place.  But long sequences of replies which are not related to the original question tend to permanently divert the direction of the thread and may discourage relevant replies as people coming to the thread by looking it up by topic name may not have the forbearance to read back through pages and pages of prior replies to find the point where the thread derailed.

I agree and we recently did that with the REN topic. And, we split out discussions that go off track from the original topic and create a new topic for that discussion in the appropriate board. We also did that with the topic of adding a rotatone to and AE35 asked by a very new member who has not logged back on after seeing the contentious bickering that was split off a day after his last log in. That member does not know his topic was cleaned out and back on track. It turns out to be another member lost to this problem the forum is currently struggling with, and consuming a whole lot of moderator time and energy.

Would love to split the current sand box in to 5 separate boxes each located in a different country to put out these unnecessary fires.

It's harder when replies contain invective and related information. It's also hard to split a topic at time when the digression is gradual. We employ strike through to show blatant uncivil and uncalled for comments but that decision line is wide and gray in trying to be fair.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 03, 2017, 12:54:59 PM
So perhaps it's better for the long term value of CRPF if irrelevant replies are moved to a thread of their own in addition to mining these replies for acronyms or other content which can be mined for addition to reference pages.

I spend way too much of my time mining for acronyms to add to the list. I was looking for member contribution by the members offering new acronyms by posting a reply to that topic so the newly suggested acronym can me put into the overall list. That participation is non-existent so I'm left spending my time searching for them.

Now, at what point does a reply become irrelevant and if it is, why not just ignore it. No need to do this one-upmanship crap that is fueling this fire. We work hard to get it tamped down, it was actually quite civil for maybe 18 hours, and then a misreading of a few words became gas on the coals and there we went again.

If a fact is wrong, it can be corrected civilly. If a reply is irrelvant,

IGNORE IT!.

With multiple pages of one reply after another and all irrelevant to the topic is not needed or desired. If the replies, the discussion does not progress toward an end, solving the problem presented in the first topic post,

IT'S ALL IRRELVANT!.

It may be relevant to another question and if so, create a new topic and move the "I know better than you for whatever reason" to that new topic, please create a new sandbox and have at there instead of destroying an honest request for help and chasing away a member. If you want replies split off and moved to a new topic, ask a moderator. We can create the new topic, name it what you want it to be, split the irrelevant to the current topic replies off and move them to the new topic.

Is that so hard to do? It's up to the posting members to control this. To have the control to stay on topic or either create a new topic or ask a moderator to do that. Takes minutes to do.

Moderator's are not responsible for creating new topics for members to play in. If you want a place to fight over who knows best, go make a topic somewhere else and have at it. Just name it honestly so members know what to expect when they check it out, or ignore it altogether. We can ever create a new forum board title "Free For All Caged Sandbox Topics" if that will help. If so, PM me with your ideas.

And no, I'm not getting off my soap box until all members make this forum a civil place where new and mostly ignorant members can feel safe to ask a stupid question without getting their head bit off.

I've spent the most part of 4 days now trying to put out fires by dealing dealing the the flame smoke interface. It's up to members to put out the fires themselves by letting the coals die out, really. Can't we all get along in a friendly, civil manner and make this once again a family friendly, gender neutral and safe world wide forum?

Strong post to follow when I find the time and get my sanity back . . .

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on July 03, 2017, 02:17:56 PM
First, thank you gratefully accepted.

No need to quote your whole message, I'm just quoting to ID what I am replying to.

Yes, I've learned that in some cases it's pointless to try to correct erroneous statements and the best thing is to ignore them.  Anything else just "prolongs the agony" because although some people are willing to be corrected others just scream louder and make more erroneous statements, completely misstating what someone else said that's there to be read for what it actually said by anyone.

From my own awareness of the time it's taken me to try to help people with their actual technical problems I realize that I cannot begin to guess the actual number of manhours the moderators must be putting in to keep the pot from boiling over.  That's not even considering that dealing with this kind of friction among members is much more stressful than simply working in a civil manner with someone on their technical problems, which also can be frustrating when the point does not get across.

I have reported posts when the topic was simply misnamed but not wandering all over the place but in the future I will also report threads that are straying off topic.

Thanks for all your efforts behind the scenes on behalf of CRPF.

AE_Collector

To add to the above, lots and lots of time is being put in by the moderator....John. Both myself and DavePEI are not nearly as active at moderating as we once were though in the past months could go by where the most taxing thing was rotating someone's cell phone pictures or deleting or editing down unnecessary quotes.

Dennis is quite busy working and that has left John to put out the fires but there has never been money in the budget for a water bomber. We should likely consider a couple more moderators in the future but for now the best thing is for everyone to do as John requests, stop picking fights and only respond if you can respond in a civilized friendly way adding to the discussion. The bickering and name calling isn't what CRPF is about. Technical discussions are more than welcome but only if we can each build upon what others have already said.

Terry