News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

534A network.

Started by Dan/Panther, November 04, 2008, 02:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Will the 534A network, work with the #50AL candlestick phone?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

That sounds like a transmitter number.  What's the number on the back of the perch? 

Whatever type of candlestick it is, it can be used with a modern network.  It'll take some serious changes to the wiring, though.  My repro is set up this way, and I can take some pictures of it's wiring if you want.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Yes please I have the repro phone also, modified with a WE #5H dial.
Pictures to be posted in another thread shortly.
D/P

bingster

Here are the wiring pics, Dan.  Click on each for an enlargement.

The thing that's going to be tricky is the dial.  WE dials are clearly marked with letters, while AE dials are not.  Given that, I have no clue how AE terminals correlate to WE terminals. 

You can find the wiring to the network over here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=130.msg1048#msg1048
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster, I think you posted the diagram for wiring the W.E candlestick, the W.E diagram shows 3 wires at the contact, my contact switch only had 2 wires, how does the third wire figure in ?
D/P

bingster

The problem with these repros is that you can't follow original diagrams.  The use of a new network, rather than one of the old ones, means several wires are connected to different terminals, some are connected to each other, etc.  The old diagrams go straight out the window when you're using a modern network.

Does yours have the same rack as mine?  Five screws on the front?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;

No it has 4 screws, actually two screws, and two solder points.

D/P

bingster

Ohhh... in that case, I'm not sure.  I think the point (in mine, anyway) is that the two wires connect when the switch closes.  I would imagine that you could put the two wires on the two terminals you have, so long as they lead to the contacts that close when the receiver is lifted.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

The problem I then run into is that third W.E. wire shown in the diagram, at the contact switch.
It shows red, coming from the subset induction coil, through the contact switch, then through the transmitter, then on to BK, on the dial.
No problem that's what I've got now. What's throwing me is fom BB on the dial, another wire is shown going to a third contact spot at the contact switch. No idea what this is for, or which side of the contact switch to connect it to.
Looking at it, I would guess that I could connect BB from the dial to the red connection at the contact switch. Any ideas comment ?
Itappears that BB on the dial goes to another set of contacts at the contact switch, but it shows only one output from the contact switch, can I assume that BB, and the Red wire from the induction coil have a common connection, and can go together.
D/P

bingster

Can you post a pic of the rack, Dan?  Even though the phone is a repro of a 51AL, the rack may be a design from another phone.  The 51AL diagrams I have show three springs on the rack, the first spring has YY from the transmitter connected to it, the second has the R conductor from the mounting cord (or a jumper connecting to it), and the third gets the BB from the dial.  When the receiver is lifted, all three connect.  YY and R make contact first.  Then, combined, they make contact with BB.

Does that help any?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
That goes with what I said about the black wire may have a common connection, the jumper may be that connection.

D/P

bingster

I gotcha.  In a lot of desk stands, there's a little terminal board attached to the base, and the red conductor of the mounting cord connects to it.  From that point, a jumper goes up to the rack.  Originally, there used to be a group of wires bundled into a harness (called a "switch cord") that would have been used in desk stands to reach from the base up to the rack.

Base cording:  http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/51alcord.pdf
Rack cording:  http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/51alrack.pdf
= DARRIN =