News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pacific tel sign on ebay

Started by Signguy, May 11, 2017, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signguy

If anyone is interested in this sign on Ebay (item # 302291614599) make sure you do your homework regarding these signs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302291614599

rfkimba

Dear Sign Collectors,
I compared the above" new old stock" Ebay offering , screenshot  attached,  to this pay station sign in "A Collectors Guide Antique Telephone Advertising" by Bob Alexander from 1983 . The Ebay version is 12x16" while the one pictured in my 1983 reference book indicates it is 15x20". Also the font of The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph   is much heavier in the Alexander book print. I attached  2  screenshots from www.telephonearchive.com  pay station sign section, second row left  most column and it shows a sign that looks much more like the Ebay version but the Pacific telephone and Telegraph font look a little heavier there  on the telephone archive website.
Finding new old stock from 1908 seems too good to be true.
After looking at the beautiful porcelain sign restorations done at Van Kannel Antique Sign Restorations that have heavy porcelain ledging I dare say I  never want to buy a very  expensive extremely old   sign that doesn't show  alteast some wear and tear.
Id appreciate it if Greg, Fabius , Autonut  and any   of those other highly knowledgeable sign collectors can give us their thoughts on this as I appreciate their sharing of their knowledge.
Thanks,
Bob Farber
ATCA, TCI

Signguy

Bob.... Well said.

A few years ago I came across 3 of these signs in a shop in Monterey, California. It was at this point that I realized they had been reproduced. Most of the photos of the signs you posted are my signs including the Pac Tel sign. Its an extremely heavy sign (16 X 12) with all the characteristics of an old original sign. I believe it to be authentic but stranger things have happened. I obtained it about 25+ years ago and have seen the same signs in "beat up" condition which enforces my belief that it was made in this size.

I contacted the seller of the sign on ebay and he tells me he bought it at an auction in upstate New York. He was very dismayed to hear it may be a repro as he paid a high price (his words) for it.

Thanks for posting your comments. We can never stop learning.

Cheers..... Ell

PS... In 45 years of collecting telephone signs I have never personally seen a 15 X 20 Pac Tel sign.

Sargeguy

My 8-year old daughter:

"That's not real-it has to have some rust on it if it's that old.  You know, like the ones you have downstairs."
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

rfkimba

Hi Ell,
The attached photo is from page 16 of "A Collectors Guide to Antique Telephone Advertising" V1 by Bob Alexander c1983. He lists his example as a 15x20.
Thanks for your feedback.
Bob Farber

Fabius

The 11x11 BTC of Nevada is super scarce. I have seen only one example that Paul Engleke (not sure of spelling of last name) had at a show. Paul started collecting telephone signs in the 1960s. Notice the thin letters on the sign, just like this Pacific T&T sign which is now on eBay. Both signs have the thicker white boarder indicating an earlier '21 Bell sign.

http://tinyurl.com/lj8b69l

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Here is a much more convincing example of the sign, note the difference in the placement of the blue border:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Notice the BALTO makers stamp under glaze. I have had this sign about 30+ years.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905