News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric model 80 Transmitter Cap is Stuck?

Started by Partyline4, January 10, 2013, 07:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I've got the beautiful and everlasting model 500.

After giving her a careful bath, she is gleaming like new and seems to operate.

However, comma, there is one thing that has me scratching my head.

I realized that I could not hear myself through the Mic like you normally would so I took the old girl apart again and worked the hook switch back and forth to remove some corrosion.

It worked and I was able to hear myself, "Whew!"

But now I realize that the volume for the other line is not as loud as it used to be. A very small difference, but noticeable.

I have the three wire system hooked to a two wire plug.

I am suspecting that I need to couple the yellow wire with the green wire.

BTW: The Microphone's screw cap comes off fairly easily but the speaker's cap is impossible to turn with my hand.

Was the speaker made inaccessible?

This is my first post BTW so go easy on me!

Thanks for your time! ::)

Partyline4

I see this has been read about 21 times and yet still no answer!?!?!?!

Whats the deal?

I thought many of the members would know how to get to the speaker on older telephones.

LarryInMichigan

Are you referring to the handset receiver cap?  What type of handset do you have?  If the cap is simply stuck, heating it with a hair dryer, tapping it around the outer perimeter, and using a strap wrench should help.

Larry

Partyline4

I made a mistake. I have the GTE Model 80. I also have the WE 500 but that one is not giving me trouble.

The model 80's speaker cap will not turn. But the Microphone cap comes off easily.

Are they not accessible?

HowardPgh

Automatic Electric 80 or Western Electric 500?
Just heating the receiver or transmitter cap should be sufficient to loosen them.
Welcome to the world of Old Telephones.
Like Lays potato chips "you can't have just one".
Howard
Howard

HarrySmith

Welcome! You do not use the yellow wire when hooking uo these old phones, onlt red & green. Try dragging a business card through the contacts on the switchook to clean them. The already suggested method of heating with a hair dryer should work on the cap. If you do not have a strap wrench you should get one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

Hey thanks! I was able to get it off with a strap wrench. The speaker and everything work swell.

This is the model 80 BTW. I had to get my facts straight ::)

Well, thanks a bunch!