News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why? Craiglook is gone!?

Started by Greg G., October 18, 2010, 05:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My favorite search engine for Craigslist, Craiglook, has been shut down by demand of the shyster lawyers for Craigslist.  I don't understand, I would think they would be glad a third party is steering others to CL.  CL's internal search engine is very unwieldy, time-consuming, and a just a real PITA to try to use.

They supposedly regrouped under a new home and new name, but it doesn't work, e.g. I used the search term "rotary telephone" in the new Craiglook, now called Claz, and it came up with nothing in my area.  I went to CL's internal search engine and used the same terms, and it came up with 7 hits.  Here's the blurb they have on Craiglook:

QuoteCraiglook.com has been shut down by demand of Craigslist.org

The site has now moved to CLAz.org

I have also complied with Craigslist.org request and removed all RSS feeds and links to craigslist.org from the new website.

I am extremely grateful to you all who keep the site running with your great ideas and feedback. I will try my best in reaching to Craigslist to see if there is a way for Craiglook to work out a resolution for legal claims that they have pointed out.

If you have reached this site by mistake trying to go to Craigslist.org - please use the corresponding button below.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

KeithB

I noticed this weekend it was including sale posts from other sites like Oodle.com and a few antiques sites, too.  I figured they were simply expanding their coverage, but now it's obvious they were trying to deflect the legal attack and become more generic / less focused on only Craigslist. :(

Greg G.

Quote from: KeithB on October 18, 2010, 09:41:23 AM
I noticed this weekend it was including sale posts from other sites like Oodle.com and a few antiques sites, too.  I figured they were simply expanding their coverage, but now it's obvious they were trying to deflect the legal attack and become more generic / less focused on only Craigslist. :(

Same here.  If I expanded the radius for my zip, it only came up with something on Facebook Marketplace.  I don't want all the extraneous sites, just want something to make CL much easier to search.

I looked for other CL search engines, most of them suck and aren't any better than using CL's search "feature".  Best I can find is the one I was using before I found Craiglook, SearchTempest.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Here's a site for browser plug-ins that seems to work ok, you just have to choose the right one.  The Google one works great, but I want to narrow it down to a specific area, e.g. Seattle or Portland, not nation-wide.

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=craigslist. ( dead link 02-27-21 )

Here's a preview of what a Google search using this looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/26f39ac
- Mike Row
e