"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Multiline phone cords

Started by Babybearjs, January 29, 2016, 04:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Updating an old thread here...

I think I found the correct cord type. PVC jacket, stranded copper conductors, 25 pair, no shielding. Anything here that doesn't look right for a correct multiline line cord?

EDIT: Just noticed that it's only available in 50-foot increments. It's roughly $9 per foot, so that would be $450 for one order, minimum.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/9434-0601000/BELDEN/Multi-Pair-Multi-Conductor-Cable/p/B9434
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Well, it sounds right but also seems like an item you have to really get your hands on to see how it feels and looks for your application. As cable, usually no one really cares just what it looks like. I think you are in a good position needing just one light gray cord. It should be very easy to find one on a late model key set as by then all cords were standard gray. As long as you are okay with it having an Amphenol on the end.

Keep the word out and keep searching eBay. I don't think you will have any problem finding a cheap AE 186 or something similar.

Terry

AE_Collector

This is another of those "kick myself" items. While I did a lot of scrounging hoarding junk collecting in Phone rooms over the years, I always recall working in a high school close to home 10-15 years ago now and all their AE 186 Key sets were in boxes in the corner after having converted to electronic key sets. Not sure why I didn't ask if they wanted me to haul them away for recycling but I didn't. I guess that I wasn't interested in stuff that was so relatively new at that time but that is unlike me to not collect now, figure out why I did it later.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Fred Haynes told me he always orders his 25 pair   cable custom made. I don't know from where. you could probably find out from someone from the TCI Switchers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The jacket on the telephone  line cord is different than the 25 pair that they run for a system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would just keep searching at shows and in the clubs for NOS 25pr line cords in the colors you need. I have seen it at shows over the years,  I probably still have a couple of  them from buying boxes of cords at the shows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a guy in WI that sells lots of cords and phones. He is name is David, (can't recall last name or company, last name begins with S). He has been attending the KS shows with lots of cords, he also likes switch stuff. there is a good chance he has some. You might locate him on a club roster.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

Thanks Guys! Right now, I just took a 25 pair cable out of a 565 phones and have just put it away... since I'm changing out the original with a home made cordset, I'm not worried about trying to find something "New" I was just trying to find the 25 pair cable in a stranded form instead of always getting the IW version of the cord.... thank you again!
John