"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Tone AE 80's & 90's?

Started by stub, March 04, 2010, 01:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi all,
        I was wondering if anyone has seen any AE 80's or 90's in two tone colors with black?  I haven't.  I have a file of 1957 AE Co Catalog and on pg. 8 & 9 it shows that one could order such a thing.
        I see the fantastic  two tone WE's everywhere.  Does anyone have a pic of any AE two tone 80 or 90 that they could post for me or us to see ? Thanks    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

I have seen them in black and green with smooth black cords in old museum prints.

Just for looks, I made one in black and red and it looks very nice. I will post a picture tonite when I get home.
Jorge

jsowers

Quote from: stub1953 on March 04, 2010, 01:49:10 AM
Hi all,
        I was wondering if anyone has seen any AE 80's or 90's in two tone colors with black?  I haven't.  I have a file of 1957 AE Co Catalog and on pg. 8 & 9 it shows that one could order such a thing.
        I see the fantastic  two tone WE's everywhere.  Does anyone have a pic of any AE two tone 80 or 90 that they could post for me or us to see ? Thanks    stub

I've seen them once or twice on eBay, and they usually go high. They're fairly rare. Stub, can you scan or take a picture of those pages and post it? If it has pictures of what they had available in 1957, it would be interesting to see. I would imagine the AE two-tone availability probably paralleled the WE, give or take a few years, so it was likely only offered in the 1950s. By 1957, WE wasn't offering two-tones, so it's interesting to see that AE still did.

I did find this on the Prince Edward Island Museum site, a matchbook with a green two-tone AE80 pictured. Definitely a 1950s model and it has the straight handset cord Jorge mentioned. I posted it below. Their site is http://www.islandregister.com/phones/ae.html
Jonathan

stub

jsowers,  Thanks!!!
              The catalog doesn't show the two tones , it gives the order numbers on pg. 9 .  Here's link to download the 1957 Catalog in the TCI Library .          stub

http://tinyurl.com/3r4zluc

Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Sir Stub:

Here they are. The handset is black bakelite. The cord is not original AE, but vintage SC (from the 50s). As you can see, the numbers wheel is the rural type and the only one I have with that feature.

Enjoy!
Jorge

stub

Jorge ,
      !!!!  SHAAAAZAAAAM !!!!    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the W E's were nice but WOW!!!!!
            Thanks. Well worth the tube !  Sorry I'm a A E nut!!!  Shelves are still fantastic!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

I  think I have a belt buckle w/ the red 2 tone AE 80 on it. It was for a narrow cloth belt. I am pretty sure I still have it some where.

That is a nice phone Jorge, I have never seen any AE80 2-tones besides the match ads and buckle.

The match ad I saw had a yellow 2-tone AE80.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

That two tone is top notch Jorge! The Fire dial card adds the perfect touch too. I will be running something similar in my first red phone. As always the take out your shades  8) mirror shine! Another perfect AE

jsowers

Quote from: stub1953 on March 05, 2010, 01:19:36 AM
jsowers,
              Sorry i forgot to say THANKS and killed the link when I inserted thanks in other post. Here it is again.  Sorry.   stub

http://tinyurl.com/y8v7ttk

Thanks, Stub, for the link. That's a great source of info on AEs and they apparently sold everything but the kitchen sink. I saw things in that catalog I've seen locally for years and wondered where they came from. Like an aluminum pole tag that says Lex Tel Co (I have one a lineman knocked off a pole on my property that probably dates to the 1950s) and the black Bakelite connecting block and braided phone wire in my mom's house that dates to 1953.

Back to the two-tones, it was interesting to see that the full color sets came standard with coil cords, but the black and two-tone sets could be had with either a straight, or for 50ยข more, a coiled black cord. And has anyone ever seen a two-tone AE90 wall phone? I haven't. Also it tells which colors were available in two-tone and which were not. Pink, blue and white were not available in two-tones.

Jorge, your red two-tone with the numbers-only dial is really nice and great with the red dial card.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

That is a beautiful phone, Jorge.  You have a wonderful collection of AE's there.  Probably one of the best collections of that model of telephone.  Pack them all up and take them to the show this weekend for display.  I'm sure the collectors would love to see them.

JorgeAmely

Thank you guys for the compliments!

Dennis, I haven't thought about bringing phones to a show. That means I would have to get up too early and miss the shopping!

Stub, the shelves were made from leftover wood from an IKEA piece of furniture. The tiles are leftovers from an ancient tile job some 15 years ago.

The only model I need to complete the AE80 color collection is the Dawn Gray color (code 11 or letter C). It resembles the WE500 Light gray (color code -61).

Jorge

jsowers

Jorge, I hope for your sake those shelves are earthquake-proof. They look to be substantial with those marble tiles in them. Your mention of a gray AE80 reminded me of a picture I ran across looking for two-tones. My buddy Chuck took it at a California flea market in 2005. It looks more like WE dark gray to me. I can't find your post with the entire shelf to know if that's the color you lack, but maybe just seeing it will give you hope that they're still out there.
Jonathan

stub

Jorge ,
            Did you use the black or red plunger stop ( cradle-hole cover ) ?
            Do you have access to TCI Photographs ? I can't remember if it is free or for members only.  In the - Show & Tell - go to -  AE Bulletin: Type 80 Conversion to 2-Tone Color Terry Biddlecombe June 28, 2005 11:40 PM 380
This says to use the black plunger stop , 1.2 and 1.3  The print is kinda hard to read. I was just curious because of no pic of the back.    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

jsowers ,
              I have a AE- 90 , in gardenia white , that I'm giving to Kenny. I took it apart and made a 2 tone out of my black 90 ! No comparision to the red ,  but they didn't make in that color so Kenny will still get it when he gets back home.           stub                   
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stub1953 on March 06, 2010, 12:12:33 AM
Jorge ,
            Did you use the black or red plunger stop ( cradle-hole cover ) ?
            Do you have access to TCI Photographs ? I can't remember if it is free or for members only.  In the - Show & Tell - go to -  AE Bulletin: Type 80 Conversion to 2-Tone Color Terry Biddlecombe June 28, 2005 11:40 PM 380
This says to use the black plunger stop , 1.2 and 1.3  The print is kinda hard to read. I was just curious because of no pic of the back.    stub

TCI Photo Page
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/

ATCA Photo page
http://atcaonline.com/pictures

Both are open for veiwing.
You need to be a listserver member to post. The TCI list is an open list and anyone can join.

The ATCA List is only open to members of ATCA.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.