News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is it, part 2: Telephone Table

Started by Grabart, January 26, 2016, 12:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grabart

So now that I have begun to acquire a few phones, I thought it would be nice to place one or two on display.  While perusing Craigslist I came across this "antique telephone table."  I understand the various parts, but not the curved piece up top.  Does anyone know what that would have been used for?

Sidenoet: When I was dating my wife (who is an inveterate and prodigious talker), I could see resting my head against it while she went on (please don't let her see this), but I'm guessing that's not what it was originally for :)

Thanks,

Scott

Dan/Panther

If you place extra weight on the table, ( As in nodding off during a call ) The arm swings down and smacks you on the head to wake you up.
Seriously I don't know.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Here's one that's similar that says it was for setting the receiver down on.  I don't know if that's really accurate or just someone's guess because it seems impractical to make such a large arm just for that.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/73406186/vintage-mid-century-modern-wooden

QuoteThis is a wonderful old telephone stand. The receiver would rest on the wooden portion of the arm that rises above, a telephone book fits nicely in the cubby below. Surprise there is even a pull out platform with carved out section for pencil. Nice and sleek.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

I am not sure I would take the description of 'telephone table' too serious.  A lot of furniture could be construed as such, it seems.
The most typical antique telephone stand that is clearly such, is that with a seating arrangement attached.

Here is another one advertised as such:

Grabart

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 26, 2016, 01:00:02 PM
If you place extra weight on the table, ( As in nodding off during a call ) The arm swings down and smacks you on the head to wake you up.

LoL  That's what I was thinking.  Either swings down, or your head droops forward, causing you to tap it on the arm.

I have seen many similar to what others have posted on G Images, but none actually show that arm in use.

For the price, I may get it anyway.  Thank you all.

S

Doug Rose

These were telephone tables and meant to be mobile. User would pick it up by the arm and move the table to the person who was going to speak. My grandmother had one pic 1 with a long line cord that moved around her "sitting room."

I also had the one in pic 1, but it was the only casualty of my phone room carpeting. Myself, I think they are real and I am on the lookout at yard sales for a replacement....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I have one and I love it! I would not mind a couple more. Mine has a handle just like in your picture but the body is exactly the same as Brinybay's picture, even with the little drawer for not pad & pencil. Mine also has a hook on the side for holding the extra long line cord you need to move it around the room. I thought I had some pictures but could not find them. If I find them I will add them to this post.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Patience paid off, found a beauty at the Sandwich Flea Market this morning.  Love a Flea in the middle of the week. Pictures to follow. $15 can't beat it!  8)  One more day on the Cape, weather has been amazing  ;D....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here it is, not bad condition for its age....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice, that looks great! It looks exactly like mine except mine is painted white. I never thought to see what's under the paint. Maybe someday I will take a peek to see.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone