News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric A1 with E1 Handset

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 29, 2017, 11:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have been looking for one of these for cheap for a while, and I finally found one for $85 plus $25 shipping.  The shipping charge was unreasonable, but I think that I got a deal on the phone.  The metal has quite a bit of corrosion in places, but the phone otherwise appears to have had little or no use.  The plunger shows very little wear, and the felt on the bottom looks almost new.  The cords are in excellent shape, except for the last 2 feet of so of the mounting cord.

The shaft is stamped "D76869" on the back.  Inside the base is a capacitor.  I do not know what its purpose is.  The E1 handset is in great condition and has a bullet type transmitter.  The receiver has a "229" date stamp.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here is a picture of the capacitor.

Larry

mariepr

At a total of $110 for an A1 delivered you got the bargain of the year.

However, what was it about the way it was packed and shipped that made $25 seem to be too much?  USPS for example charges $18.85 postage for a Large Flat Rate box.  If the seller used a different box to protect the cradle then it's no longer flat rate but based on A-B distance. 

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 29, 2017, 11:21:27 PM
Inside the base is a capacitor.  I do not know what its purpose is. 
Larry
Read this current thread for a discussion of the capacitor.  I believe it's connected across the transmitter leads of the handset cord and serves the same purpose:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18564.new#new

LarryInMichigan

The phone was packed in a small cardboard box with brown paper padding.  The seller paid the retail Priority Mail rate of $11.95.

I have to decide whether or not to add a dial.  I think that I have a spare #2 dial somewhere.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry......is is a beauty! I am still looking for one for my collection. I would leave it as is, but that is just me. Is the handset an E1 or does it have a Dxxxxxx instead. Super find!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I would like to try to repaint the phone to make it look good.

The handset is an E-1.  I am posting a picture of the information on it.

Larry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tim Mc

Ditto!  Congrats!  I'm with Doug and would leave it as-is, but it would still be awesome if restored.

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 30, 2017, 07:07:11 AM
The handset is an E-1.  I am posting a picture of the information on it.

Is it an E1A or E1B?

The E1A does not have a 129-type capacitor on the back of the transmitter. Some E1As are marked "D80370" on the handle, but they are otherwise equivalent.

The E1B handset has a 129-type capacitor inside.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

The transmitter has a 129A capacitor on it.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Haed to find and cheap. Looks like a find of the month to me.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Vern P

Congrats on your find !!  Like I say "you have to kiss a lot of frogs, to find that prince".
Vern
PS: I know,  evade I have been kissing them for over 30 years.

WEBellSystemChristian

Holy cow...

WHAT A FIND!!!

Great one Larry! My hand would be shaking to push the button after seeing the listing for that price! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

I painted the base and shaft/cradle and reassembled the phone.  My painting skills are fair at best, but the phone looks much better now.  I also gave the handset a cleaning and polishing.  The phone works, but the sound quality from the bullet transmitter is poor, as is typical.

A collector told me yesterday that he had heard that these phones were only used in the New York area and that the "Dxxx" number indicates that this was an experimental phone.  Is there any truth to these stories?  My phone did come from a seller on Long Island

Larry