News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fiddleback Madness!

Started by Sargeguy, October 26, 2012, 07:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I wouldn't normally post a link to an active auction, but it looks as if the cat's out of the bag on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330817554879

TYPE 85 fiddlebacks are popular phones and can go for twice what their local battery cousins, the 301As fetch.  This is an extreme example, however, with the rarely seen 7-digit beveled transmitter mounted on a 241 transmitter bracket.

*will post permsnent pics when I get home
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

Yep, saw that one too. REALLY early trans arm & transmitter. Too bad it's not in better shape.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

I think the wooden parts are irrelevant in this case, they can be replaced.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

It closed at $2,850!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

darn!  I knew I should have bid $2,851 ;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 01, 2012, 07:26:30 PM
darn!  I knew I should have bid $2,851 ;D
I have to say, I have never seen a beveled edge / 7-digit transmitter with the original BLACK paint on it. And, that early arm is seen about once for every 100 - #5 arm (239?) that you see.

I forgot to ask Sargeguy, why would you hesitate to post a live eBay auction?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

I don't do it for two reasons:

1) I'm bidding on it and don't want any extra attention
2.) Someone else is bidding on it and will be ticked off at me for drawing extra attention to something they are bidding on.

This usually only applies to auctions with one or no bids.  A lot of us spend hours scrutinizing eBay auctions for hidden bargains, using our experienced eye, and detective work .  SO when someone comes along and posts something to the effect of "Hey did you guys see this?  I'm not bidding but that looks like a 7-digit transmitter under all that grime."  it can be annoying to those of us who've already found it.  For example, if you found this in the Decorative Arts>Primitives section labelled as "Old fone" and it was going for $9.99. you wouldn't want it's location publicized all over the boards, increasing competition and raising the price.  

Of course if you find such a hidden bargain (especially a BIN) and are wondering if you should post it to the forum, you can PM me and I will be happy to advise you.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409