My Protel Pay Phone with issues

Started by Sigmaz, December 19, 2017, 11:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protel8000

Sigmaz

Quote from: protel8000 on April 26, 2018, 11:43:57 AM
How's your Protel modem?
Funny story... I haven't tried it yet.

Maybe tonight? I had some other projects on the bench but I think I have room now.
Check back with me after 5:30 EST.  ;D

tallrick

Taking on Expressnet myself tonight. Been offline due to mom's illness and a car accident. Hope to get my phones working soon too!

Sigmaz

My thoughts and prayers for your family man.

Hope you get the time to play telephone as well.
Let me know how it works out, I don't know much but if you need any help feel free to hit me up in a PM

tallrick

Thanks so much! I am taking this day to gather up all my computer junk and build a dedicated DOS computer for my payphones. Getting my outside payphones will help me with mom because she uses my phone system and it's paging extension to call me when assistance is needed.

tallrick

My goal was to build a 486DX computer with a hays isa modem, however I am surprised to see most of my old hardware has either been thrown out or has been lost. I do have a few IBM PS\2 machines but I have no MCA modems. Going to see if I have any more Hayes external modems. Why did I get tid of all that old computer junk?

tallrick

Still trying to communicate with my phones all I get is Time-out on carrier detect even though it calls the phons and the phones can call the expressnet computer.

Sigmaz

The counter will roll down three or four times during the initial negotiations.
If you pause the timer the modem and phone will finally negotiate and you'll see the data burst by watching your tx/RX lights
When that burst occurs strike enter and expresnet should carry on.
I've experienced this with first loads controllers that haven't been programmed with my info.

Quote from: tallrick on August 31, 2018, 10:25:45 PM
Still trying to communicate with my phones all I get is Time-out on carrier detect even though it calls the phons and the phones can call the expressnet computer.

Protel8000

So for what it' worth, instead of my usual 8000 board, I am currently trying to program a 7000 board and am having similar issues. I wonder if the 7000's require the actual Protel modem where the 8000's did not?

Payphone installer

2000 board is the most forgiving on the programing with a modem. But I have found just getting the protel modem solves all the problems.

coinop

Hi,
new here, and I'm hoping you guys can help me in the right direction.
I have a couple of 7000s I need to program, but can't seem to get connected. I'm using a DOS setup (booting with Sigmaz's) with an external Zoom 2949L modem via serial.
Are there specifc Init strings or dial/answer strings that need to be configured? I've tried 'Other' modem in xpressnet but I'm always disconnected the moment the status says I'm connected at 1200bps. When I'm dialing/polling into the phone from the PC, I get a 'status string checksum bad' error as soon as a connection looks like its solid but drops a second later.

When using *#3 from the phone outbound to the PC, I don't get a connection at all and just get a 'Time-out on carrier detect' error.

the Protel is behind a callcentric line, and the PC is connected on the houseline.   

any help is much appreciated!

Protel8000

So it's going over VoIP with callcentric? I tried a lot of ways to get the connection to work over VoIP and just can't get it reliable enough. Do you have two landlines, or something that can stimulate them to createa connection that way? Also, I didn't have luck getting a 7000 board to work with a non Protel modem. 8000 worked though

coinop

yes, I tried two landlines before going through callcentric on one end; but same problem.

Right now the phone is on the callcentric VoIP line. I have another, separate landline that I connect the PC/modem to to call into the phone.

I've tried both directions, calling into the phone and calling out from the modem. *#3 outbound to the PC fails altogether as nothing can be established. But polling to the phone connects at 300 and 1200 (config'd for both speeds during tests) but it still immediately disconnects. The latest error I got after fiddling around with the AT strings is  'Sync char not detected'. So it looks like the phone is having trouble sending a signal the moment it's established a connection. Could be the 7000 is more finicky with newer modems.

I've tried it on a slower 28.8 Cardinal modem, but no luck either. 

Hoping there's some hidden string or something that could get us connected. Programming this manually by the dialpad is going to be a pita. :( 

Payphone installer

There is a setting in express net that lowers the baud rate to 300 and a code that tells the chassis to slow down  to 300 but in the end it probably won't work without a propel modem.