News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Congrats to us - 300th Member!

Started by McHeath, April 12, 2010, 12:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

First, I'd like to add my signature to the "Atta Boy's" being passed around here.  After reading foots' first post, I checked my own anniversary date--it's in two more Fridays.  I can also reply that this is the most pleasant forum I have ever visited or become a member of.

Second, I consider each member here a personal friend & wish I were close enough to many of you that I could drive over for the afternoon or invite you to my place for coffee & bore you with stories of old phones--most of which are in plain site all over the house.

Third, the idea of all of us meeting at Bwanna's for BarBQ sounds great.  Since there will undoubtedly be those that can't make it to Michigan, I propose we make bwanna our "central" host, & those that can't get to her place can look up the members in their region, pick a "satellite" host & meet there.  If we can figure out this Skype thing, we can maybe link the satellite parties to Bwanna's.  Ya think?
Stephen

LarryInMichigan

QuoteAs said earlier, you kind of had to watch out about some of your questions you ask on the other list!!!!!!!

I develop software for a living, and I often search various on-line forums for answers to questions about how to do various things in software.  On some forums, the Apple developer forums for example, a typical response to a question of "How can I write code to do abc...?" will be something like: "Why on Earth would you want to do that?  You never need to do that.  You're an idiot...".  It's very nice to be able to post questions (even possibly stupid ones) to a forum and get polite answers instead of being raked over the coals by arrogant sociopaths.

Larry

Phonesrfun

I might as well add my Kum-bay-ya's while we are at it.

And I don' mean that in a mean way either.  This forum is the most delightful forum going, especially when it comes to phones.  There have been some recent topics and insights that I think have really put this forum on the map.

I had actually come to expect that any time I was to ask a simple question on the other forums that I would get at least a couple of intimidating answers, and I was pleasantly surprised to not find that kind of crap going on here.

We also have many younger collectors and this hobby needs you younger folks!!!  I don't think the younger ones can relate to the old buzzards that hang around the other forums.  Not that there isn't a wealth of information there too; it's just that you have to wade through some "stuff" to get a simple answer to a simple question.

Don't forget that the clubs are a motivating force behind all the shows and a lot of other information that is out there, so I cannot berate the clubs, only the actions of some of the listserve participants.  Let me be clear about that.  I am a believer in club participation.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

If I had to put this forum into a couple words they would be, "Mutual Respect.."
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

after hearing all the comments about how nasty other forums can be, my question is why would any one participate.  ???

d/p.... that about sums it up  :)

bill cahill.... you may certainly have sweet tea.  :) not sure i can make a trip to florida, tho  :(

jorge.... true..... & it goes both ways.  ;D ;) :o

jester.. good idea. that one may even be feasible.  8)

donna

Netdewt

I check many forums, but the ones I come back to most are the ones where people are nice and helpful. This is one of them. Plus I just love that there is a forum for old phones! I tell people about it and they think I'm nuts.

savageje

Netdewt...LOL...I've started to find myself talking about the hobby to people that don't have the addiction and I get those looks that say "you need help."  Makes me laugh.  I guess this forum can count for group therapy.

Kenny C

I get those same looks by my mom ;)
and we now have 301 members
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I really like the forum. It is quite fun. The listservers were fun for years, they started getting stuffy in the last year or so.

The forum is fun and exciting. I may not get a kick out of finding a HW 500 set anymore (except for D/P's). But it is fun sharing the excitment when you find a HW 500.

This forum has kick started me back into the hobby.
I am pretty excited about today's phone finds that I made today.
see thread "sometimes you find phones, sometimes they find you."
The big kick is sharing the find. I was expecting the common colored sets to be the extent of it.  They were only about half. (and the boring half )

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.