News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft plastic beige 302??

Started by baldopeacock, May 19, 2010, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Out of my range too.  It went from about $135 to $300 in the last 15 seconds of the auction *poof* all of a sudden it more than doubled in price.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Bill....looks like his reserve was $300. Lot of snipes in the end. Real nice piece of history. Seller is in the TCI, but I don't know his name. He has had a lot of quality phones lately. Congrats on your election in the TCI...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

After looking at the photos again, the painted dial housing looks beige, and the inside around the dial has darkened from the rubber washers bleeding but the rest of the inside looks beige.
My question, if the seller was looking for an Ivory 302, but found out it was a beige much rarer set, why sell it for the fairly low price of $300.00 ?
Wouldn't the average seller consider it a lucky find.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 26, 2010, 12:38:45 PM
After looking at the photos again, the painted dial housing looks beige, and the inside around the dial has darkened from the rubber washers bleeding but the rest of the inside looks beige.
My question, if the seller was looking for an Ivory 302, but found out it was a beige much rarer set, why sell it for the fairly low price of $300.00 ?
Wouldn't the average seller consider it a lucky find.
D/P

One would think so.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

If you look at my Red soft plastic 302, it is the blood red color of a 500 set, not the Pekin red of a 302. This was Western's short lived soft plastic Ivory set and had a beige painted handset to try and match. I do not think the handset was original to the set or it was painted after signs of use. As far as I know, Western only made the soft plastic 302s in Red, Green, Ivory and rumored, but never seen by me;  blue. I have never seen any documentation of a beige set. Just my opinion and not backed by anything but my dwindling memory .....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Maybe made by Ray. However the guy does seem to have his figures all in order ?
D/P

Doug Rose

If this was made by Kotke, it would be perfect. It would not have a painted handset with a chip in it, it would match and the color would be accurate. He makes a a Blue Thermoplastic 302 phone that you cannot tell from the original in a side by side test. He is that good. The handset was painted after it was chipped, another real issue with it....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Isn't the issue whether the case is original Beige, which I think It is. The handset could have been repainted for whatever reason later on, to make the entire phone look nicer. However I do think the phone is original beige, and original W.E.
The handset is another story.
JMHO
D/P

Doug Rose

Dan...the issue is, I do not think it is beige. I think it is Ivory, a deeper color in soft plastic like my blood red is a deeper color. Forget the handset. There is no evidence of beige being made in soft plastic. Just my opinion,....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I don't know if they made one or not, but that guy seems to know dates and everything about when they were made. Does anyone else have anything written about them. I would really like to know if they made any ?
Remember up until very recently, we had no physical evidence to speak of, for the existence of a 49-500, except for a couple random parts dated 49. and no proof of a set possibly made in 1948, but now we do. Every day we seem to find examples of things we did not previously know about.
Maybe we could contact Ray, and ask if he made any beige 302 bodies. Maybe he experimented, and didn't care for the color, so he stopped,  maybe this one was nabbed some how ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

I beleive it is a factory "soft" plastic 302. The seller is pursueing thermo-plastic colors at the moment, and will kick himself later.

If you chase colored 302's you will find that they came in hard color plastics, metal colored sets, soft plastic sets and pre-war variations. You don't appreciatte the variations until you sell them.
JMO,
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

So is the consensus that this was listed as a "Beige" 302 when it is most likely an "Ivory" 302?

Of course we all know that people call many different colors "Beige" and we as collectors take the word "Beige" to mean WECo Beige etc.

Terry

Dan/Panther

terry;
It appears 2 say Beige, 2 lean towards Ivory, and one not decided. So you can break the tie, and the undecided can either confirm or set it back to a tie.
D/P

AE_Collector

I am probably "not qualified" to comment being primarily an AE person. However, I do have what I call an "Ivory" 302 but mine is a factory painted metal 302.

To me the pictures of this phone look just like my Ivory 302. And the ebaY 302 looks to me to be a bit darker on the outside than the pictures of the inside which is typical of ivory plastic. But of course that could just be the camera flash etc.

If I saw that ebay listing without all the discussion that has been here on the forum....I would consider that to be an Ivory 302.

Terry