News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System Lamp Shade

Started by Doug Rose, November 23, 2017, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

These were made by Fenton and is currently going for over $500. I have one by Fenton in a Fenton box with a Fenton sticker on it that I got for $175, Supposedly a last run before Fenton went out of business.

How do you tell the difference? Mine is perfect. Beside the few chips from being in a light fixture, looks just like mine..Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253257156698?rmvSB=true
Kidphone

TelePlay

It was listed at $449.95 and now has 2 bidders and 2 bids. Should be interesting to watch this auction close.

19and41

Mighty attractive.  Were these meant as domestic decoration or actual system use?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

If I understand correctly, these were originally made by Fenton in the early 20th century for fixtures and used for various purposes related to pay stations, offices, etc.  They were re-issued by Fenton at a later date as a collector's item. I don't know how to tell the difference.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 24, 2017, 03:29:06 PM
If I understand correctly, these were originally made by Fenton in the early 20th century for fixtures and used for various purposes related to pay stations, offices, etc.  They were re-issued by Fenton at a later date as a collector's item. I don't know how to tell the difference.
agreed...me neither.....they look exactly the same...Dpug
Kidphone

Stan S

Doug
Are you sure your shade is a 'Bell System' and not a 'Local And Long Distance' like the one in this picture?
Stan S.

Doug Rose

Stan you are correct, that is what I have, not the Bell System. Were these the only ones done by Fenton in the very end? thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Stan S

Doug
Yup.

I was involved along with John Infurna in the manufacture of 'The Local And Long Distance' shades in 1999.
There was no proof found that Fenton ever made the originals of either shade.

The project was started from scratch. There were no old molds to work from. In fact an original shade was borrowed from one of our fellow collectors to create a new mold. The mold ended up being solid steel a foot cubed. Think it weighed well over 1200 lbs. Cost ended up being in excess of $6000.

Working with Fenton was a disaster. They were the last art glass company of what at one time was a thriving industry in West Virginia. At the time we didn't know they were on their way out.

The only good surprise that came out of this project was when they found the ORIGINAL molds for the Maxim mouthpiece in one of their basements. Since they 'thought' it was telephone related they wanted to know if we would be interested in a new production run.

That project would be impossible to do today. All the glass companies are gone. Ended up not being very profitable but it certainly was an experience! Working in a glass factory is like working in a steel mill. It's as close to being in Hell as you can get.

Stan S.

Doug Rose

Stan....great information...many thanks...Doug
Kidphone