News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My '51 500

Started by Tom B, September 24, 2010, 06:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I've managed to source a straight handset cord for my 1951 500, but it only has 3 conductor cords. How do I bridge the fourth connnections in the handset and terminal strip? Any info gratefully received.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

Kenny C

i dont think it is possible to use a 3 con. handset cord on a 4 con. Handset. I have a straight handset 4 con handset cord from 1953
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Tom B

Kenny
How much will you sell it for?

Cheers
Tom

Phonesrfun

You can do it rather easily.  On the 3 conductor cord, connect the black wire to one of the transmitter cup connections, and connect the red wire to the other side of the transmitter.  Connect the white wire to the receiver, although if it is a handset wire designed for a 302, you will need to extend the wire so it will go all the way up through the handle to the receiver element.  Run another lone wire through the handset from the other side of the receiver to the red wire on the transmitter.

In the 500 base, wire the white wire to GN; the red wire to R; and the black wire to B

Kenny:

You can do this as described above.  THe 500 4-wire handset has 4 wires, but you may have noticed that one of the white receiver wires normally connects to the red transmitter wire inside the 500 phone.  We just did that connection inside the handset.

The Bell System originally went to four conductors from 3 even though essentially the receiver and the transmitter used a common tie point inside the phone.  The 4th wire was used to eliminate resistance to make the varistor more effective in eliminating clicks.

By using a 3-conductor cord there may be a possibility of clicks, but most likely you won't be able to tell the difference.

Electrically, it is fine.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

oops, I hope my post didn't get in the way of Kenny selling a handset cord.... :o  It is a fact that using a 4 conductor cord on a G handset is the best way to go.
-Bill G

Tom B

Bill
That's my first job to do tomorrow. Thank you very much.

This forum is top notch.
Tom

Kenny C

its fine i just have it on my 1955  and thought he needed it. i have plenty of handset cords so i was just gonna replace it. no hard feelings what so ever  :)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Tom B

Kenny
Thanks for the ultra quick reply and the offer. You're a top feller
Tom

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010