News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tips on repairing crack in G3 handset

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, October 20, 2016, 07:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

I have come to the unfortunate discovery that there is a large (in length) crack in my avocado green 2500 handset! It is right above the receiver, it isn't cracked completely where it would break a part of the 'handle' off, but it is noticeable. Is there any good way to bond the two pieces back together before they could crack more? Thanks!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

19and41

I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but if the plastic used in the handset is compatible with this cement, it is a good bonder.  It works by softening the plastic at both faces of the break so they can bond together plastic to plastic as opposed to plastic to glue to plastic.  I use it to repair many different plastic items.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005CA7S/ref=s9_simh_gw_g201_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=PKVSV130EP4R6F43DM5R&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Thanks for sharing....just ordered some!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

I would simply use acetone solvent to weld the crack.  This provides a seamless and eventually invisible repair. Other glues will leave a visible repair most likely. Apply it onto as small an area on the crack as possible in tiny amounts.  ABS plastic is very soluble in acetone and it will almost instantly liquify.  If needed it can be shaped then with a dental instrument or small spatula.  Let it dry for a few days and then wet-sand the area.  The plastic that was dissolved will shrink for a while, so don't sand it down too soon.

19and41

This product is a solvent with a thickening agent.  No glue.  There are some repairs it excels with. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

I have a green handset you can have, if you send me your address.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson