News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New 8" Variable Speed Buffer

Started by ....., December 13, 2016, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked myself up a new 8 inch variable speed buffer today. It has a 3/4 HP motor that goes from 2,000 RPM to 3,450 RPM. Now I'll be able to shine up my phones. I will start with some junk bodies that I have until I get the polishing down pat.

TelePlay

Very nice. Just like mine except I couldn't afford the variable speed version back then, a bad mistake on my part.

And remember Rule #1: Always buff with or off of an edge, no exception.

Or, in the negative, don't catch an edge.

Yes, practice makes perfect and usually you can recover from a mistake by going back to sanding and starting over with the buffing.

Post your work photos here.   ;)

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on December 13, 2016, 08:59:53 PM
Very nice. Just like mine except I couldn't afford the variable speed version back then, a bad mistake on my parT
Here is an idea, John. I have a variable speed control which you can get from Harbor Freight which will work with any AC/DC Brush type motor, 1 amps and under. If you can check and make sure your motor uses brushes (and I imagine it does), it will work for you, allowing a wide range of continuous speed adjustments....

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

They cost $19.99 and then you can set your buffer to any speed within that range. But make sure your motor uses brushes and isn't an AC only motor. It will work with routers, saws, sanders, dremels - the majority of small woodworking tools.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on December 14, 2016, 08:09:51 AM
Here is an idea, John. I have a variable speed control which you can get from Harbor Freight which will work with any AC/DC Brush type motor, 1 amps and under. If you can check and make sure your motor uses brushes (and I imagine it does), it will work for you, allowing a wide range of continuous speed adjustments....

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

They cost $19.99 and then you can set your buffer to any speed within that range. But make sure your motor uses brushes and isn't an AC only motor. It will work with routers, saws, sanders, dremels - the majority of small woodworking tools.

Yes, I bought one of these for my Dremel after you posted it in tools a bit more than a year ago

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14569.msg151307#msg151307

Works fine, one of the best tools I've purchased. Use it all the time. Unfortunately, my buffer is an AC motor.

But if anyone has a single speed Dremel, this controller is highly recommended.

AE_Collector

Looked that one up on Princess Auto. Sale started yesterday and goes through Christmas Day, $109 Canadian and regular price $149. Online shows Out Of Stock. Did you pick yours up at your local Princess Auto store Doug?

Too bad the variable part wasn't 1000 to 3000 but at least the lowest rpm of 2000 isn't too much higher than 1725. With 8" wheels at 2000 rpm you will still have to be pretty carefull with plastic I would think. But better than 3450 rpm. Would 6" wheels have a 5/8" arbour I wonder? 6" would slow the surface speed at the wheel and get into smaller places.

I might be trying to grab one of these at my local Princess Auto.

Terry

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 14, 2016, 11:45:33 PM
Looked that one up on Princess Auto. Sale started yesterday and goes through Christmas Day, $109 Canadian and regular price $149. Online shows Out Of Stock. Did you pick yours up at your local Princess Auto store Doug?

Too bad the variable part wasn't 1000 to 3000 but at least the lowest rpm of 2000 isn't too much higher than 1725. With 8" wheels at 2000 rpm you will still have to be pretty carefull with plastic I would think. But better than 3450 rpm. Would 6" wheels have a 5/8" arbour I wonder? 6" would slow the surface speed at the wheel and get into smaller places.

I might be trying to grab one of these at my local Princess Auto.

Terry

Terry,

I checked on line too and it showed out of stock. So I drove the 50 minutes to Princess Auto and picked mine up. They had 4 in stock. The trip was worth it because Costco is across the road from them, so I got to spent more money just because my wife told me too. :)

I have a box full of 6" buffing wheels and some compound, so I will be using them instead. I just put the 8" on for the pictures.

Also if your store is out of stock, just ask for a rain check. They don't expire. That way when they do get them in you pay the sale price.

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on December 15, 2016, 05:35:36 AM
Also if your store is out of stock, just ask for a rain check. They don't expire. That way when they do get them in you pay the sale price.

In my experience, some stores will call around to other stores to see if they have any in stock and if you are willing to wait a few days, they will bring one in for you by was of their parts courier. A phone call to the store to see if they are in stock and if not, asking if they will get one would be one way to go. Even Radio Shack will do that for penny items.

Quote from: TelePlay on December 15, 2016, 11:29:56 AM
In my experience, some stores will call around to other stores to see if they have any in stock and if you are willing to wait a few days, they will bring one in for you by was of their parts courier. A phone call to the store to see if they are in stock and if not, asking if they will get one would be one way to go. Even Radio Shack will do that for penny items.

For me asking for the rain check is pretty much the same. I live 50 minutes away from the store one way. So if they order it in for me that would mean another trip back in a few days. Where as the rain check does not expire. That means when I make my next trip to the store in the next month or two, I still get it for the same sale price as long as it is in stock.

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 14, 2016, 11:45:33 PM

Would 6" wheels have a 5/8" arbour I wonder? 6" would slow the surface speed at the wheel and get into smaller places.

Terry

Terry,

The 6" fit just fine. All you have to do is screw the buffer wheels on like a nut. Tried it out on a junk body and it the buffer worked just fine. If I put too much pressure on the wheel it slowed down and it would stop if I pressed harder.

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on December 16, 2016, 03:10:19 PM
If I put too much pressure on the wheel it slowed down and it would stop if I pressed harder.

I have a 1/2 HP motor and when working with metal or Bakelite, I can press hard to the point of slowing down the buffer. That makes me back off a bit to not harm the motor. What you may be experiencing is a 6" wheel has less momentum than an 8" wheel allowing you to load down your motor easier than with a larger wheel. I realize it's not much but it is a difference.  Never had that occur with plastic for pressing that hard would burn the plastic.

That black 554 looks good.

AE_Collector

The 8" wheels and the buffer motor have 5/8" hole/shafts where as it looks like 6" wheels have a 1/2 hole. So I see what you mean about having to thread the 6" wheels on but that works.

10 years ago or so I bought a motorized grinder on eBay with thoughts of getting buffing wheels and maybe shaft extensions to turn it into a buffer. it was new (from China of course) and cost something like $29 with free shipping (or maybe it was just inexpensive shipping) in the USA. When I got it I decided it was defective. It took a minute or more to come up to speed and had absolutely no power at all. I could almost stop the grinder with my hand. I contacted the seller who apologized and sent me a replacement. When it arrived it was identical to the fist one. They looked reasonably well made, weighed a lot but I threw them both in our scrap metal bins at work and that was where my quest to get an inexpensive buffer set up came to a halt and hasn't progressed since then.

These Princess Auto "Power Fist" (Store Brand) units of course are made in China so while they have to be better than my grinder experience, the thought that you can stall a 3/4 horse motor by pressing on the buffer wheel too hard worries me just a little. But, maybe it is a good safe guard for buffing plastic as long as it still takes quite a bit to stall it. At least I can return it to Princess Auto if I am not satisfied with it. Wife says "get a good one this time, not a cheapie one" but I am not about to spend $300-$450 US ($400-$600 CDN) for a Baldor!

Doug, did you have that stand already or did you pick that up from Princess Auto? That seems appealing to me to have it take up relatively little space and be easily moved out onto the driveway in good weather to keep the mess outside. But doesn't it just want to tip over when leaning into it a little?

Terry

TelePlay

Terry,

I got a single speed from Eastwood with 1/2 HP. They sell a 1 HP dual speed (not variable) for $179 US on sale now:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-1-hp-buff-motor-dual-speed.html

When I said I can hear my motor starting to labor, I'm talking about having the item I am polishing a good inch or so into the wheel, really pressing the material into the wheel.

I wish I would have spent the extra $50 back then to get the dual speed, but, that's the way it is and I've gotten good with what I have.

Terry,

I had it down on it's lowest speed when it slowed down. If I turn it up or click the switch over to 3450 RPM I don't think I could stop it. I haven't tried, but I will later today and get back to you. I had bought the stand earlier this year for a grinder that was given to me. I was going to make it into a buffer, but that didn't pan out. I got that stand on sale from P.A. as well. 

"  But doesn't it just want to tip over when leaning into it a little? "

No not at all. I just put my foot on the base. You could also bolt it to a piece of plywood and that would give you more support. I have just started to work with it so I don't know the limits of this stand yet. I'll get back to you on that as well.

In my opinion and I'm no expert, this buffer and stand setup will do everything I need and more for the money I paid.

" At least I can return it to Princess Auto if I am not satisfied with it. "

That is the great part about P. A. they stand behind everything they sell.

Did a little test buffing the other day. What a difference it made on that heavily scratched body. It is still in rough shape, but at least I am getting the hang of it. The plastic dial had glue on it and it still needs a little more buffing.

Terry,

The buffer worked fine and I had no troubles with the stand. 

AE_Collector

Thanks for the report CDN Doug. I did go by PA and picked up one of the buffers though it is still in the box in the garage. It comes with the two 8" wheels but I also bought the 6" buffing kit for $42 (I think). It has three different 6" wheels and 4 types of compounds.

I took a quick look at their stand which might have been $59 but it looked to be (peering into the partially opened box) that it had a small square plate to boltt to the floor rather than 3 legs. Now looking at your stand again b,aye I was seeing the plate that the buffer bolts to. Will have to check it again in January when the "spend $75 get $15 off" card is valid.

Terry