News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

best way to remove rock hard sticker adhesive

Started by oldguy, December 17, 2016, 05:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I am trying to remove rock hard sticker adhesive from the back of a 1939 metal 302. any suggestions?
Gary

twocvbloke

Isopropyl Alcohol, apply, let it soften the glue, wipe off... :)

oldguy

Thanks twocvbloke, i'll try it, Goo Gone didn't touch it.
Gary

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 17, 2016, 05:30:10 PM
Isopropyl Alcohol, apply, let it soften the glue, wipe off... :)

samething for soft plastic or not ?

TelePlay

Was working on a piece of plexiglass tonight. Cut out the smaller piece I wanted and discovered the paper did not want to come off, a very old piece of plexiglass.

Thought of this topic and soaked the paper with isopropyl. After about a minute, the paper came right off in one piece without any tearing and leaving no residue behind. So it seems isopropyl does work to soften hard glue or adhesives in this application.

oldguy

The Isopropyl alcohol worked great, thanks twocvbloke
Gary

twocvbloke

You're welcome, used it a few times myself and it's good stuff, before that I used to use zippo-type lighter fuel, but that was a bit more risky as it could melt some plastics... :)

AE_Collector

Reading this topic made me think of adhesive residue left by old masking tape. Has Isopropyl Alcohol been tried on this type of glue residue?

Terry

19and41

For some soft plastics, be careful with the Isopropyl alcohol.  I had used a small amount of it on a towel to remove some paint residue from the bottom edge of the base housing made in 1954 for a 500 set.  It softened and wouldv'e begun dissolving the surface of the plastic. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

In this case, it is not really advantageous to stick labels on a phone. In any case, that's what I read in the end.

Pourme

I have a (pink) car wax that is formulated to clean bugs and road tar with ease from paint. I apply it on residue and let it soak for about 20 to 40 minutes and repeat until it comes off with ease, no damage to phones, ever.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

2 things: I forgot to post an after picture, turned out great. Benny, what brand is the pink wax you use?
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on January 03, 2017, 07:29:30 PM
2 things: I forgot to post an after picture, turned out great. Benny, what brand is the pink wax you use?

I have used both Satin Gloss and Liquid Lustre...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service