News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Semi Postpay coin relay operating video

Started by Haf, March 12, 2019, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

After having touched any phones for quite a while due to various reasons, after the visit of dsk and a bit "playing" with phones last month I was curious if my AE 66 coin relay will function as should. So, took the AE Technical Bulletin 702-86 and run some recomended tests. Here is the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2H_Nxi7Aw

What I did and is seen in this video:

Automatic Electric Semi Postpay Coin Relay tested with AE Technical Bulletin 702-86, Page 19.
First test: Tilt Armature to the right, lift handset and apply 45,5 volts d.c. to the plus (+) side of the line. Armature tilt to the left.
Second test: With Armature on the left, lift handset and apply voltage to the minus (-) side of the line. Armature tilt to the right.
Third test: Armature to the right, handset lifted and coin trigger tripped, apply voltage to the plus(+) side of line, then hang up. Armature restore to normal position again.

How this relay works: In the idle or dialing operation, the armature is tilted to the left. When other party answers, polarity reverses and armature tilts to the right, microphone of the handset is blocked. After depositing coin (directly collected without any further action of the relay) the coin trigger is tripped and unblocks the microphone.  After hanging up polarity reverses again and armature tilts to the normal left position again.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

kleenax

Good job sir!

Always wanted to fiddle with the twin-coil relays but never have. Good to see some still work.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Alexis Kasperavičius

Very interesting! Do you know why this relay set-up would have been deployed in lieu of a standard post-pay coin set? Was it meant to be interim (e.g. because real coin service was planned in the future?) or just easier for AE to sell both post and pre pay sets with minor modifications?

I wonder if it required anything special on the CO side, or if it functioned with the normal polarity reversal provided on a step switch?